As Giving Tuesday approaches after all your Cyber Monday shopping. I encourage/challenge you to look into the charities you are giving your hard earned money to.
You can check out charities at:
Charity Navigator ( they rate charities who gross over $1M a year ) or check the Better Business Bureau of your area for claims against charities. Ask the charity itself.
The less money being spent on the program you are donating to, means it is going straight into the pocket of some "executive". When I see people donating to charities that spend 50% of what's donated not on programs but to fund peoples salaries, I'm appalled.
A Homeless shelter I regularly donate to ( Monetary and in-kind gifts ). 95% of money donated is used to run their program. I think that is a great margin. I realize people running organizations can't do it for free; but they need to make good use of the money that has been donated to them.
Another thing that I find shady, is places that's mission is for the poor, homeless, etc, and require that everything be brand new, or only accept money. I understand some things are unsanitary to provide used, but coats, boots, you get the gist; should be accepted if in good condition. If someone is truly in need, they shouldn't care if it is gently used, brand new, or designer labeled.
I guess what I'm getting at, is make sure you ask a few questions of those you are giving to on this Giving Tuesday. If the organization runs a legit operation, they should not be ashamed to tell you how much of every dollar is used to run their program, and how much is actually being used on their program.
An interesting story to read a car dealership with many employees, decided to stop supporting United Way , because he learned that a % of the money collected each year went to fund planned parenthood. He learned that even though he wasn't directly giving to PP, a % of United Way's money does. This is something else you should be looking at when deciding who to give to. Who do they give to, some organizations funnel a % of what they get each year back to other organizations.
Just because you know so and so works for XYZ charity, does not mean it is legit and you have to give to them. Do your own due diligence and check them out.
Know who you are giving to!!
Awesome I never knew giving TUesday was a thing!
ReplyDeleteI wonder what we'll come up with for Wednesday now .
DeleteAwesome I never knew giving TUesday was a thing!
ReplyDelete