Tuesday, March 19, 2013

mission

Our parish is in the middle of our Lenten mission.  I made it to night #2, when the priest was talking about our sins, and evil spirits that live inside of us. So the one exercise we did was repeat after him & renounce a whole host of sins and spirits that could be living inside us. The renouncing went on for about 1/2 an hour. He told us before hand, that he wanted us to repeat everything, even if we didn't think we had those inside of us or not. Afterwards he asked by show of hands, who felt like a weight lifted from them, who felt a knot undone, who felt tingling in their toes, who felt their arms lighter.  Some of the things we renounced that stuck out to me: YOGA, miscarriage, cancer, MS, oija boards, witches, + some of the more common sins we hear of; pornography, infidelity, cursing, envy. He considered watching a R movie pornography or a sin to your marriage.  Most people were shocked that yoga is a sin.  He said he healed someone the night before, & he asked her what she was doing to relieve her pain. she said Yoga, he said you need to come back the next night, for the renouncing exercise. He asked this lady during his talk, if she felt better after he made her renounce her Yoga ( sin) and he laid hands on her.  she said for the first time in years, she hasn't had back pain.

Also if you stay late the mission priest will offer healing to those who want to stay. Apparently people were there til midnight the first night.. I left at 10 last night & he was just getting started w/ the healing. I am contemplating going back tonight.

Has anyone out there gone to a healing service for IF ?

6 comments:

  1. Yeah, I have been prayed over by several different priests and given the anointing of the sick as well. I have also gone to healing Masses too. I am not saying that they did not help but I don't believe you can pray the IF or miscarriage away. I try to pray for healing in whatever way God sees fit for me. I used to be heavily involved in charismatic prayer groups but have stopped going because they started to creep me out and some of the lay people involved can try and take priestly authority into their own hands. It is good that the priest is doing the laying on of hands and prayer because he has that authority by Holy Orders. It can't hurt to get prayer from him! I do stay away from yoga because of it being part of another religion and new agey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a little confused. How is yoga or miscarriage a sin?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, can you expound a bit on the miscarriage being a sin and cancer? Hmm...that hits a little too close to him and sounds a bit fishy and to be lumped in with witches and oija boards - yuck. Now I can understand if maybe you were leading an immoral lifestyle - such as binge drinking a lot and you ended up with liver cancer, but even then that would seem to be a stretch...cancer is not the sin - your lifestyle was. And there are a ton of cancers (like mine - NH lymphoma) that are not lifestyle related (such as some types of lung cancer, liver cancer, etc.).

    Okay, I will stop.

    But yeah, I have been to a couple of healing masses celebrated by a local hospital chaplain priest and I have loved, loved, loved them. The Masses themselves were beautiful and then after Mass the priest did lay his hands on us and pray over us and it was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yoga, because the moves are intended to center you to another god. ( worshipping false gods ). The context I understood the Cancer, Miscarriage,etc and maybe I didn't explain well enough, was they were considered bad spirits, the renouncing was intending to remove.

    The missionary, was very different than what we are used to in our more traditional church. Even the prayer group having guitars in church, was very foreign to the parish.. I didn't make it back tonight to see what he had in store for the evening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know Yoga is a sin but don't know about miscarriage & cancer. Looks like the retreat was more of a Charismatic kind. I am not fond of Charismatic retreats because many Charismatic groups are not completely in align with the teachings of the Church. They focus too much on healing! Like Kat said, many Charismatic priests and lay people use binding prayers without permission from their Bishop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very different! I have not heard of this / done this before.
    Other blogs have posted of healing masses, but I've not been to one myself.

    ReplyDelete