Monday, December 1, 2014

When it rains.. it pours here people.

So last week, when I was house sitting for my grandma J.( mom's mother ) her basement flooded.

 
So our weekend ( thanks hubs ) was spent sucking up water & removing as much of the organized clutter as we could. (up the stairs to the garage ).  On Monday, I met with the insurance adjustor. Who wrote her a check for the damages, to cover painting, new carpet, and any further water remediation. ( we called in a professional company, the next day, to remove carpet, and place dehumidifiers & fans in the basement & check for humidity.. would take 4-5 days to remove all humidity ).

The carpet was glued to the old tile floor.. original tile is black & red.. brown is from the glue.
 
When she returned home in the middle of this, she wanted to order carpet right away, because she has to have Christmas at her house.   So I took her shopping last week ( on one of my days off )
 
Fast forward to today, the carpet company, came out to measure.  Didn't hear anything so I figured all was good. Then I get a call from the insurance company.. ( cuz i initiated the claim, since she was out of town, and she's playing old lady on them ) They want to know if I know of an asbestos removal company, I'm like for what?  Well apparently, one of my braniac relatives went over yesterday & started chipping away at the tile & exposed some of the old tiles, now the carpet people won't install carpet, they say all the tile has to go away.  From the age of the house built in the 50's it's asbestos & has to be properly removed ( gram doesn't see why )  so what is she doing right now, she's chipping away at more tile & painting in the basement. ( with no ventilation. ) She won't listen & my mother & my aunt, aren't helping. My uncle, who knows a painter, was supposed to be doing the painting, but hasn't called her back.. so at 85 she's taking it into her own hands..  She somehow thinks she's going to get all this done in 2 weeks, to have Christmas at her house.
 
So I have some calls out to people to find out about Asbestos removal now.. since my mother, aunt & uncle who all don't work anymore, are super busy can't make the calls.

I'm trying to stay calm, but geez,, one thing after another.




3 comments:

  1. My word! You really do end up with all kinds of craziness! I hope it all calms down a bit soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! This was crazy enough without the asbestos mess! Not what you want to be dealing with right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankfully the insurance company has stepped up to the plate ( finally ) offered to put her in a hotel ( she won't ) but found an asbestos removal company to come out today, to do the testing, so they can hopefully start this week. When my grandma called them, she said.. oh no hurry, i'm painting.. so she had them scheduled for Thursday this week to come out..
      I may have not so nicely told some of the retirees to get over there & get her out of the house ASAP.. thankfully the insurance rep, has been backing us up & has told her repeatedly to get out.

      Delete