Friday, January 8, 2016

Basement Reno v 2016


Cabinets stained, we went with a mahogany( some fancy name).

 The funny stain story goes like this: I cannot be around the stain smell, so My involvement was picking out the stain and brushes. I read the instructions to my husband and exited the basement. The smell started sneaking upstairs so I left the house for a bit. I returned, I peaked at it but didn't say much. Figured I didn't have any ground to criticize since I didn't do any of the work. Went to bed. Went down in the morning it was almost the same color as the butcher block top which is just clear coated. 

Day 2 required a the backsides to be done. Again as hubs started and smell came upstairs I left the house.  When I returned I didn't even check it, it just wasn't the mahogany I envisioned. So the next morning final day of staining, as he started I left. When I came home he said you have to come see this. 

He said I think I really messed up. Whoa!! Well when he started today, he put his brush down to the bottom of the can, and swirled mildly. Then put his stroke on the cabinet. Wildly dark mahogany. Well then he got a paint stick out and stirs the can ( for the first time during his staining). Their was a clump in the bottom. Which now made it dark. I said well finish it up, and make what you have in the can work, because if I buy another can its not gonna look the same. Hubs has said he won't be doing any more staining, he will leave those projects for me. All in all we love the butcher top how it turned out, even though the bottom is not what we expected, it's got the hint of red we wanted.  

Voila the stain debacle of 2016 



So after the stain, we painted some doors.  ( same color as the walls )


We also painted the cement walls in the laundry area. The walls won't be drywall finished. We are looking for floor to ceiling  curtains to hide this area when we have people over. 


We took down the bifold doors and had 6 panel doors installed for our cedar closets. The doors are short, because we had to leave the drop ceiling in this area. My husband says he feels tall standing next to them. 



Stuff from the laundry area (during painting) -- we are constantly moving things from one side to the other. 

This weekends project is to clean off he dust and try to get things in the cabinets and purge. 
The shelves are not staying. 

2 comments:

  1. You guys are making great progress! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks _Beth. Taking a break at the moment, but 2 wire racks are emptied, dusted and being put away in the new caninets

    ReplyDelete