The one drawback to my work, is I work with a lot of people that I never ever get to meet. I work in the corporate hq, but day to day I work with our reps & customers all over the world. Sometimes things are stressful, but, I love working with so many diverse people. I have lots of memories with all these people.
I learned in a business class a long, long time ago, that if you want to be good with people, you have to treat them like you want to be treated as a person. I have learned to get to know people by voice, because I don't get to see them in person. I also make good use of my O.utlook calendar & put anything I learn about them on it like; birthdays, anniversaries, births of babies,etc. Then their are other things imbedded in my memory, that don't need a placed on the calendar, like who I was talking to when the plane hit the world t.rade center, or who was stranded when the blackout occurred.
I blame it on the hormones, but I got pretty annoyed that DM was not returning my e-mails last week, I really was ticked that I couldn't complete my job, because he wasn't replying. So I let it wait a couple of days & then e-mailed someone else to find out what his issue was & why he didn't feel the need to respond to me. <Insert foot into mouth> The co-worker i contacted said: Oh didn't you know! What didn't I know? He said I'm so sorry no one told you, but DM passed away on Christmas Morning. I felt like a total heel for a couple of days. RIP DM. Thankfully they aren't "replacing" his position, cuz I don't want to have to say are you the person replacing DM, because truly no one could replace him, HE always did what we asked when we asked, with no hesitation.
Lesson learned, take a deep breath, things aren't always as they appear. Pack patience in my lunchbox.
That is so sad to hear! I think we all have those moments. I need to take your advice and pack some patience in my lunch box too! :)
ReplyDeleteThx Morgan!
Delete