Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Construction Season


Getting approval from work and my doctor, coming up with a happy-medium plan was a major feat. It WAS supposed to be relaxing, and calming for me. 

Then.. first week home.. This thing arrived.


Then a couple days later.. some guy shows up saw-cutting.





Then the dreaded orange barrels arrived -- also subbing in as our mailbox.



Then the 6:30am wake up calls from beeping, and diesel engines warming up.



Working from home has been anything --BUT relaxing.

Then trying to figure out HOW to get out of your driveway.



And when this excavator goes by ( 20 times a day ) it rocks -shakes the house. I spend the next 1/2 hour straightening pictures on the wall.




Someone is always invading our space.




Besides our mailbox getting pushed over a minimum of 2 times a day, and finding our mail spilled out all over the road.

Our driveway which we filled out a waiver -- and notified everyone who is supposed to be on site.. that it was NOT to be removed.. I came home from my Tuesday doctors appointments, to find it GONE.   




Because the cement was not cut, before tear out, it didn't come out cleanly.





Road construction is not something I want to endure. It's driving me crazy, and will likely go on for another 10 weeks, at which time will move to the street behind me.  ( so no break  all summer)

The city has not been helpful in making the contractor ( the city hired- and we as residents have to pay for ) make it right. I want to threaten with a lawsuit -- but just don't have the energy.

So the work to our driveway that they have to do now, won't be warrantied, and we will be liable for any damages in a year. Just infuriating.










4 comments:

  1. Uggh! How frustrating! I would do as you have done so far, keep documenting with photographs all that is being done. Also, can you get the Post Office to hold your mail for pick up? It would be a pain to have to pick it up, but at least you could be assured that nothing is getting lost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Post office has been not helpful either. We have a Box at the post office too, but they can't "forward" most of the important stuff to the box either..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, the house shaking with construction reminds me of the time when we first bought our home in a new neighborhood. I got so nervous when it was so loud! They should be respectful of your property and mailbox. They also should not be blocking your driveway. I would talk to the city about what they are doing...I'm assuming the road they are working on belongs to the city?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. City road, but the residents pay 100% of the cost of the construction, city picked the contractor. Between the city (employee) inspector who is supposed to be on site while work is performed, the project manager from the city, and the contractor. Instead of solving issues they point the finger. This weekend, I am going to one of our officials - open talk discussion to get her up to speed on the project, and the issues, to see what she can do to assist us.

      Delete