Monday, May 28, 2012

saw the doc

So on Friday, we saw the Na.Pro Dr.P in Ohio.  He was nice. But he was very direct. His approach to things is very aggressive, I will also assume it is because of our age also.. ( I'm 37 ). Because we were coming so far & I explained, I can't just drive 4 hours every week to see him, we did all our bloodwork ahead of time, so he had all that to go over with us.. Essentially my issue that we have to resolve right now, is not ovulating. So I go on Progesterone to induce a cycle. & then Femara on certain CD's. He wants us to do at least 2 cycles of this, with out TTC.  If things look good, then we can TTC , if nothing looks good in 4-5 months, he wants to do a wedge resection. ( I'm not crazy about the idea of surgery) but he made it sound better, since he can do this robotically. Only about a week recovery.

His second plan of attack, is he wants me on a "plant" based diet. He said NO red meat, only white meat 2-3 times a week. He didn't mention fish.( so i'll have to ask about that ). NO Dairy. No Gluten.  He also had me up my Vitamin D Supplements & take 10,000 i.u.  a day..seems like a lot, but he knows best.  I am also to start vitamin B regimen. He says I have to get more agressive with my insulin resistance ( he thinks i should be on insulin). I differ, but I am going to have my labs drawn again this week, ( I haven't had them done for 12 weeks ) If my blood sugar is down, from last time, I'm fighting the insulin thing.  I have made significant dietary changes in the last 3 months. So we'll see if it reflects in my labs !!  My last labs were still elevated, but have been coming down over the last year.. & after more diet modifications, since march, I have finally been seeing big changes, i.e. weight loss, since I started severely limiting dairy & gluten. ( Although I wasn't 100% eliminating both )

I've been processing all the info that he threw at me. It was a lot to take in. Part of me just wants to throw in the towel & accept that we will not be parents. 

5 comments:

  1. He dietary stuff is tough, but so worth it! I thought I was going to die when I had to give up gluten, but my life hasn't been better!

    Your doc sounds like he has a good plan for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if I hadn't been already trying to avoid most of these, it would be tougher.

      Delete
  2. This seems so exciting! Not ovulating seems easy enough to fix! :) And I love that he recommended all those diet changes, they are supposed to work wonders!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you. I know how hard it is to live with the thought of "all" the things he wants you to stay away from. It is so overwhelming at times. I wish that the ovulation thing was easier. it seems like for some it is a piece of cake to get that fixed, for others (myself included) its like an act of congress to get it to happen. I am praying for all aspects of this post! Don't give up! We are here for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd almost have surgery again than modify my diet. Diet? What diet? I eat like crap. Oh. That must be it. :-) But its SO.HARD. to fix eating habits, especially when they are SO .DRASTIC!!! I know I've got to get on the diet bandwagon again. If you come across a website or recipes, let us know.
    I'm glad your doc is aggressive. Its better than just playing wait-and-see! :-)

    ReplyDelete