Tuesday, July 1, 2014

MFM consult

So I got to my appt 15 minutes early.

First thing was to fill out a bunch of paperwork.

Then wait, & play Farkle.
Go to bathroom
Then wait & play Farkle.
go to bathroom
Then pace, & play Farkle.

Waiting on ultrasound. Got whisked back to ultrasound & the dr. ( dr. M ) greeted us in there. She wanted the tech to try the abdominal first, if a no go, then she would do her exam and then they would do an internal ultrasound. Luckily the abdominal worked. I panicked! No noise! Dr. explains, noise requires extra heat & they don't like doing that unless absolutely necessary til after 12 weeks, so won't be hearing noise til next visit. We could see it moving..So all is good.

I then had the Dr exam on the ultrasound table. ( kinda weird ) but however you need to get it done. She was checking my cervix. She said feels like a nose. ( remember those STM classes ) My left side is shorter than my right, but no cause for conern yet.

So with my regular dr.'s ( dr. g )recent bacterial testing ( that came back positive )  The MFM ( she) is not ruling out bacteria or incompetent cervix. Her guess is bacterial issues are going to be my concern vs. cervix. To be safe. I return to her in 4 weeks ( at that point I'll be 12 weeks ). Do another ultrasound & cervix check. After that .. I will see her every other week for cervix checks. ( when most cerclages are performed because of incompetent cervix.)

***Progesterone***At 16 weeks I will most likely start PIO shots, they are contacting my insurance now, to get approval. The nurse said it can take a while They want approval in case we need to do it. She said some insurance companies, will have a home health nurse come out each week & administer. Other wise, I will come in & the nurse at my office will administer. My husband was relieved at that. he's a chicken when it comes to needles.  She said their was no need for me to continue testing my progesterone til week 16. Okay. I trust her. She explained the figures 30's down to 20's to 18 the last time.  She said they only supplement now, if it goes under 15. I said OKay.

So the appointments & $$ are going to get pretty costly ahead of me,.

I was talking to the nurses ( MFM only meets patients at the hospital)  the nurses all see my doctor's practice, their is a new Dr. who just joined, they said check her out sometime. They like me said, make the trek to the far away office, by far, better experience than the local office.  I have an appt on Thursday in my Dr. Office for their required " Nurse OB " visit. They go over all things pregnancy & past history. One would think they could look in the chart, but whatever I'll humor them. The nurses said to push them to do my follow up bacterial test when i'm there & not wait another  week til they had an opening. ( today was too soon to test ) The nurses in the MFM dept at the hospital are super cool. very down to earth. they said can't wait to see you in 4 weeks, were gonna become great friends in the next few months. They know all the right things to say, and know the touchy subjects to stay away from.

So upcoming appts - 3rd Nurse OB   10th, follow up bacterial test w/ Dr. G , 22nd -12 week appt with Dr. G.   29th . 12 week appt with Dr. M ( MFM )

Haven't said anything at work yet, but I might soon. See there is this promotion, that I'm waiting to come down & don't want all this to monkey it up.

14 comments:

  1. Praying for you and your babe!!! So cool that you got to see the little one wiggling around...I didn't get to see that at 8 weeks, she must've been snoozing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great advocates your nurses will be! An added benefit for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mfm nurses are awesome, I feel like they are already BFF's

      Delete
  3. Oh, I'm so so so glad to read all of this! Continued prayers for you and grow baby grow! I wish I could give you a great big IRL hug!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for all to remain well. Glad you had a good visit with the MFM doc. I've heard mixed reviews on their bedside manner from my friends who had one...

    ReplyDelete
  5. So excited for you, prayers continue!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you have a good game plan going! Contined prayers for you and baby!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad things are going well right now; continuing to pray for you!

    ReplyDelete