Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Birth Story - For Elizabeth Sarah


This was my view for labor. 



We arrived at the hospital at 4:30pm on the 14th. We got our wrist bands in admitting and headed up to the 2nd floor.  We rang the doorbell, at L&D and was greeted by Marty. She said. I know you really want room 225 or 226, but they aren't ready from renovations yet. Since no one else was in the dept yet, we had our choice of rooms ( all are small) we took room #6 in the corner. With the ugly stork on the wall. 


We went thru all the customary questions, meds, history, etc. The doc in the box, ( doc staying overnight on the floor in the on call room)  started my cervadil about 6pm. At the same time I got my hep-lock placed and an iv started. So for 2 hours I was not allowed to leave the bed, when it is first inserted. (Cervadil is like a long string) so it can be pulled anytime on its own, if anything is deemed wrong. I also had the monitors placed on my belly to watch contractions and Lizzie's heart rate. 

Besides a lot of checks through out the night and trips to the bathroom it was uneventful. My contractions did not intensify because of the cervadil ( they aren't supposed to some people start on their own ). At 4:45 am I got up to use the bathroom and the cervadil came out on its own. I let the nurse know. She went and got me some food, so I could eat, cuz there would be no more food til I delivered. (Remember I was gestational diabetic, they brought me a muffin, fruit cup, big glass of oj, and cereal. -- all no-no's for me)  


Right after 7am they started the pitocin drip. When my doctor ( Dr. G ) started his shift he came in to see us. He said he would let the Pitocin do it's thing for a while, before checking me. When they started the Pitocin, the nurse checked and I was still 1 -- not fully a 2 cm dilated.

About 10am we had a talk with Dr. G. he said unless it broke on it's own, we decided Noon was a good time to break the water.  During this time. I was up and down in the bed, -- using the bathroom frequently. We also watched a funeral for Mr. Hockey on TV. If Hubs phone rang for work- he would excuse himself to the hallway. The day nurse had bets that I would deliver 1st out of the 3 inductions. So about 12:15 Dr. G returned -- he did a check ( with  my permission ) and I was 2cm and he said if good, we will break the water. That gush still is such a weird feeling. Breaking the water definitely made things more intense. Until this time. I never said the pain was worse than a 3 ( out of a 1-10 scale). I tried to stay up and let gravity do it's thing once my water was broken. I also found much relief sitting on the toilet ( yes it's a recommendation of our birth instructor )  Each time I moved off the monitors, the nurse would come in to readjust and ask me about my pain level. She and I had an agreement, she would ask my pain level, and IF I wanted pain med, I would be the one to ask for it. About 1:30pm after many trips to the bathroom, Dr. G made his way back in to see how things were doing. I said can you check to see how things are going. He proclaimed I was 4cm -- he said normally  people dilate 1cm per hour.. I was super bummed -- on his time frame I was definitely missing dinner. ( 9 hours no food -- was making me famished ).

So once Dr. G left the room. I got back up, and let gravity work, and rested my arms/shoulders on the rocking chair in the room, and rocked back and forth with it. Then spent some time in the bathroom again. At some point I took my glasses off ( not focusing on anything - can't see without them ) and got really hot, and asked for some cold washclothes. I went and sat on the toilet again -- I must have been in there for a while, because the nurse came in, to see why I was unhooked from the monitors ( they watch them remotely from the nurses station).  By this time it was sometime after 2:15/2:25. I looked at her and said I really need something for the pain -- she said you were just a 3 on the pain scale.. I said well it's a 8+ now.  She said, can you hop up on the bed, and I can take a look. I said sure. Still no glasses on, the next thing that came out her mouth was, Dad,, push that red button -- When the button was answered, she said-- get the DELIVERY team/kit in here NOW. I was still breathing thru contractions, things moved quickly by them, but I was fully in the zone and not phased by anything they were doing. 

Once I got scooted up on the bed, and the bottom removed. ( Dr. G in the room now too ) he said. When you feel a contraction, and want to push give it a try. We did, and then Dr. G says -- baby has lots of hair.. - in my head, I'm thinking how do you know this?  ... 5 more pushes and ( I can feel that something is going on down there, but no one alerted me to any issues. ) Dr. G said give me the vacuum now. and Lucky, on your next contraction, push with everything you have, and if you have to rest, don't take a breathe. OKAY -- so with the next one I pushed like my life depended on it, and with a little help from the vacuum. -- Lizzie was here.  at 2:47 PM    She was 6lb 13oz and 19 3/4" her head was 13" around. 

Very quickly after the placenta delivered on it's own. Lizzie was attended to by the nurse, while I was stitched up. Lizzie had some skin - to skin - time with me -- before she headed down to special care to be evaluated by the neonatologist. ( Dr. R )  I remember the "count" they have to count all the tools used, and then had to put into the computer how many pushes it was -- I quickly pipped up -- 7 !!

Full disclaimer not all induction labors go this quick. This was my third induction.  I am very thankful I had a doctor who let me do as much "natural" as possible my #1 goal was no pain meds and I succeed in that. I wanted to be up and mobile during contractions and for the most part was allied that. I trusted my doctor to do what he needed to do to get Lizzie out safe. I am not mad or upset he did they vacuum. He did it along with a contraction. You would never know she had a vacuum (no cone head) she was puffy after birth, but that was because she descended so quickly. 


Shortly after they took Lizzie, I was asking to take a shower, so I could get down to her. So a nurse helped me with that, although they thought I was rushing, and someone else ordered me food ( it was around 4:30pm now. We moved down to our mother baby room. (222)


Dr. G had a busy night as 4-5 other babies were delivered. ( I was glad to be the first of the day, and have his undivided attention )



When Dr. G came to visit the next day - he apologized for not coming down the evening of delivery, but it was busy. He wanted to go over why/what he did at her arrival. He said I know you did not want a lot of intervention. This is when I found out for the first time, that she had a Nuchal Cord - it was wrapped around her neck 360 degrees. He said the vacuum was used ( -- because her heart rate wasn't tolerating the contractions well -- wasn't in super danger -- but he didn't want to run into an issue.  He had his finger between her neck and the cord trying to help( okay -- it was his hand I was feeling ) He said I was a super -awesome laborer - and he was happy to be a part of it.



Lizzie spent some time in special care - to be evaluated, because I was gestational diabetic. -- Having that super carb breakfast -- didn't help. Her first sugar was 18 ( they wanted over 40 )  they gave her  15ml of formula  and it was up to 48 -- so she spent about 12 hours there to make sure her sugars were satisfactory. Then because of her quick descent thru the birth canal. - she didn't get rid of all the fluid in her lungs -- so she laid under warmers and monitors to watch her.   Then at 48 hours they checked her bilirubin and it wasn't low enough for her age/gestation for us to leave, so she spent 36 hours under blue lights.  We were finally released to go when she was 100 hours old.  


All the nurses we ran into, all encouraged us to come back and visit.  Our friends in MFM came down 3 times to visit us while we were there.

So the only drawback to her going to special care right away and needing supplementation to meet "their" goals  ( weight - bilirubin - etc )  -- breastfeeding has been a challenge -- well let's just be honest she doesn't eat much at breast.  But since Day 1 -- I have been pumping for her.  Because she was early --there are other challenges too, her mouth is small, my nipples are supposedly large for her, etc. We've been in contact with a lactation consultant, who has given us some great tips, we are working on the at breast. She does okay in the morning, but as the day goes on, her want to have food, and NOW, greatly intensifies. ( if she is any bit fussy - she won't take breast at all ). She hasn't made it back to her birth weight yet. -- So our family doctor, wants her to have as much breast milk as possible, but asked us to supplement (after getting all pumped milk ) to "beef" her up. We go back for our 3rd weight check on July 5.


So momma is recovering well, from episiotomy. Still sore, and momma likes to over do it. I learned I am not super woman, and I need to take time for myself, and rest. Momma has lost all baby weight already, and then some. Momma had really bad water retention afterwards ( didn't even know it was a thing ) My ankles were so puffed up  and uncomfortable it was crazy. 

Anyways.. We are adjusting to a family of 3.. each day is so different. I can't believe she is 2 weeks old. 


7 comments:

  1. Great story!!! She is so cute and adorable, I wish I could just reach through the screen and hug her!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JBTC!! Some day we will have to get together !!

      Delete
  2. Amazing story! Just thinking about everything you went through and this being your third induction, I had tears in my eyes reading this. She is so beautiful, and I am so happy for your family!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading your story of labor for her, she is so beautiful! So happy for all of you! I remember having that problem with swollen ankles after Joseph and OJ helped me out with that! Hope the weight check today went well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing the story of your sweet girl's birth!

    ReplyDelete