While my father-in-law is vacationing, and visiting the family cottage, I was asked to watch the mail for his non-profit. He tirelessly is fighting for the rights of all humans, from conception to natural death, and for our health care rights/conscience as Catholics. So when I checked the mail, yesterday, there was a review book in it, from a non-catholic group. You ask why does he get these? Well to defend our catholic faith.
So their are 4 articles in this publication, the one that hit a cord, was the article titled: Abortion does not lead to Mental Health Problems. It happens to be at the center fold of the book too, so it just opens right up to the article.
The article states that Mental Health Problems are at an increased risk for women who have unwanted pregnancies than those that have abortions, and those who had abortions & have mental health problems, had the mental health problems before the abortion, so the abortion was not the reason for the mental problems. ( But i'm guessing they think it didn't make it worse)
They did not have strong studies on teenagers, but said that teenagers who had abortions, were not any more likely to be depressed or have self-esteem issues than their peers. (OMG ,where do they come up with this crap)
Article also states, the greatest time of distress for a woman having an abortion is before the procedure, and that aftewards, they feel great relief & happiness. ( WHAT are you kidding me ) Having been to many events where remorseful past abortive women speak at, I haven't heard one that says they are happy after it. Most go thru some sort of grief recovery period, but I wouldn't say any of them are relieved they did it. The one woman I hear the most speak, because she speaks on behalf of our pregnancy center a lot; the feeling I get from her every time I see her, is she lost a part of her that she can never recover from the abortion.
After having a miscarriage, I can kinda feel that same sense of loss that I can't recover til I meet my sweet little ones in heave, but in a different way; I didn't choose to abort my child, where as they did, it is something they can't take back.
The article basically is trying to find fault in a bunch of studies that were done proving that women do suffer some sort of varying degrees of mental health issues after an abortion. Saying things like they weren't scientifically correct, or they didn't follow certain protocol to deem it valid.
Article is found in the Spring edition of the Guttmacher Institute Review.
Guttmacher. 'nuff said.
ReplyDeleteI guess it's good to ensure we understand what the other side is trying to say, but I have a hard time stomaching it so I don't read it. Good for your FIL for staying in the know, though!
I know it's very sad, that people believe their crap.
DeleteMaybe I'm not looking hard enough, but I would like Guttmacher to find me ONE woman that had had an abortion, was happy that she had it, didn't regret it at all AND didn't almost viciously prochoice. I'm not saying that she can't be prochoice, but just someone that doesn't react with almost visceral hate to anything anti-abortion. When I can talk to her (and I'm not saying she's not out there), then I might have some questions that I will listen to answers.
ReplyDeleteI forgot to mention the guy who's been running Gutt, just passed away, so maybe the Gutt Inst will die too.
Delete