Monday, December 9, 2013

Brrrrrt

I'm done with the cold already. Guess I live in the wrong state.
First picture is earlier in the day... The second on my way home from CCD after dark.

I am thankful I have a roof over my head, a furnace that works, and firewood for backup in case it decides not too. We have been working with a homeless shelter at work, to provide "Christmas" to some of its residents & former residents (now in their own apartments after being homeless in the last year) . I have been quickly reminded of the little things like heat that we take for granted. I was saddened to see one gentlemens list for Christmas, his 2 wishes for Christmas were : food for a  nice holiday meal & a Christmas Tree. Thankfully we didn't think that Santa should bring nothing for him under the tree.. so we did pick up some random things for him. But I totally get not "wanting" a bunch of things.. I'm sure he is greatful to be in his own apartment now & that he has shelter & warmth. I'll take a picture tomorrow, of my SUV FULL of stuff to take over for 6 individuals ( I already took over a crib, that a mother wanted Santa to bring her daughter, so she didn't have to sleep on the floor ) It just breaks my heart.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing that...I needed that reminder of what is truly important this time of year. God bless you for helping those people!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful thing you're doing for all those people. There's not much that's more heartwarming than giving a gift to someone who is truly grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You live in the tropics! It was -5 on my way home tonight and I don't think it got above 0 today. All kidding aside, I hope this bitter cold goes north and misses you guys as it goes eastward. It is hard. I am always cold.

    But then I read further in the post and yes it does put everything into perspective. Thank you for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was going to say...today it's -17 with the windchill...brrrr...is an understatement! It is humbling to work with others who do not have as much. My job often reminds me that I do have it good. I try to remember to thank God for my life everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea, when it was 60 degrees last week I *might* have said: I know that global warming is a bad thing, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy it, right?

    Maybe I said that...

    The low is 17 here tonight...my thoughts on the cold is that if it insists on being cold, could it at least snow - then it's pretty and the likelihood of being stuck at home is much greater!

    ReplyDelete