Wednesday, May 13, 2015

May 13 + 9 years

9 Years ago today, I married my best friend. Here are some of my favorite pictures from the day. 
 
 
 
Wedding Invitation, our rings, my bouquet and the toss boquet. We had a movie themed reception.
 
 
 
Love the stained glass windows of the church. Also notice how the photographer, angled it to picture a cross in the windows.


My siblings..
 
Now husband & wife.
 
 
cutting the cake.. We had a huge dessert table for everyone to nosh on.
We didn't share "our" cake with the guests.They did have other cake options.
 
 
This was the last picture of the night.
 
 Some things about our day. It rained the entire day, wet soppy rain. This last picture was the only one outside. The church has beautifully manicured grounds ( they know the best landscaper). We couldn't take any outside.   So all our pictures are inside.  My hair was going to be done differently, but the rain, was not having it.

We got married on Mothers Day weekend. Flowers are super expensive that week. So the lady who does the flowers at the church did the flowers for our wedding & reception. I was very non-specific about what I wanted, which helped our budget. We gave her a list of flowers we didn't like. I told her what everyone was wearing; and let her run with it. She didn't disappoint. I don't think I have an easy to replicate bouquet. My husband's boutonniere flower was lily of the valley, which are only in season one week a year; we got lucky that it was blooming that week ( later in the evening he switched to a rose, because of all the dancing, we knew the lilies would get smushed) I still have his wedding flowers.
 
We were the third wedding of four in hubs family in six months. We went very non-traditional wanting something different. We had cake for us to cut, but no-one but us got to eat it. Everyone had an enormous dessert/sweet table to nosh on; it had: cheesecake, cupcakes, brownies, tarts, fruit, chocolate dipped strawberries, truffles, etc.  We had the reception in our churches nice hall, so we were allowed to bring in our own liquor, so we had dessert liquors and chocolate serving cups. We had about 45 kids at our reception ( yes ). We opted to hire some nannies for the evening & put all the kids in a room adjacent to the hall, gave the parents a dinner to themselves. The kids were entertained with crafts, movies, a clown/magician/balloon artist, games, and kiddie menu. When the adult dinner was done and dancing started, the door was opened; some kids joined us on the dancefloor, and some hung out watching movies til the night was over.
 
With our "movie" theme reception, we had a "red carpet" and some celebrities with us for the evening.  Not wanting to hire impersonators, we bought, life size cardboard celebrites, that were around the room; guests really got into it & were taking pictures with them. ( think of the days before photo-booths at weddings )  We also had popcorn, and movie candies too.
 
What we learned from the day ( rain , etc ). Not everything will go as planned, but as long as we have each other, we will get thru it together.
 

May you always have enough happiness to keep you sweet,
trials to keep you strong,
success to make you eager,
friends to give you comfort,
wealth to meet your needs,
enthusiasm to look for tomorrow,
 and a growing love to make each day better than the day before.  




16 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary! What beautiful pictures, thank you for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your pictures! Happy Anniversary! I hope you're able to do something fun together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy anniversary! I love your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary, I really love all of your beautiful pictures!! Your bouquet was beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary. My dh and I got married on May 11th and we just celebrated being married 13 years. Our wedding was on mother's day weekend as well and yes the flowers were expensive. Our church just incorporated my colors into the flowers they used for the church. Our wedding was wet as well. Everyone said the sunshine was inside that day. :) So funny how our days were similar. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary!! :) what lovely photos from your special day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy anniversary! It poured rain on our wedding day too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Anniversary!!! I love your flowers - so special - you are exactly right - no one can copy them!! Beautiful!!
    Wishing you MANY more happy years together!

    ReplyDelete