I met Dr. Bazger today. She is a Napro trained fellow. I should explain a fellow has studied a year after residency, at PPVI, under the wings of the Institutes leadership. The other type of doctors who practice Napro are medical consultants(mc). They go thru a two week intensive training. MC ' S are often ob/gyn's, but any kind of doctor, or physician assistant, can become a MC.
Some of you know, I've already seen, another napro doctor. I don't discredit anything he has done, nor think their is anything wrong with him. Just when I need help now, he has a four month wait, he is also long distance. His protocol enabled me to get pregnant.
So the purpose of my visit to dr. Bazger was to see what Napro can uncover for my recurrent losses. She is new to my area, but native to the area. I have prayed for many of 9 years of infertility, for a Napro doctor to come here, or a current doctor go to mc training. So I bit the bullet and made the appointment, I was hesitant. I didn't want to offend my current ob. As you can see from the prior post, he was very supportive of me seeing her.
The advantage of her being in the same hospital, "should" be that she can access all my medical records electronically. I found out the day before my appointment, that she wanted all my files in paper form. I however, was not going to chop down a tree to do this. I wrote a time line of all major events and results that had been relayed to me. This short timeline, ended up being 2 pages.
She started the appt by asking if was related to ( ends up it was my father in law). Explained the relationship and it was not mentioned again. She read thru my time line and asked a few questions. She typed very quickly into her royal blue laptop. She was dressed in light blue scrubs, and her hair was pulled back. She did not make much eye contact, but was deep in thought.
She brought up our genetic testing. (We did 23&me at the suggestion of someone in the st gerard group.) She wants us to see the geneticist, who is affiliated with our mfm. She wants them to dig into some MTHR mutations, and the mutation for thrombophilia, and a genetic issue with people of Jewish decent. She said she doesnt know enough to make a definite answer on her own.
She said keep up with the protocol meds/diet. New plan if/when I become pregnant. She wants me start PIO injections right away. She wants progesterone testing every other week. She said they may adjust the dosage as needed. There will likely be other things, based on the geneticists visit. She wants them to do karotyping.
Overall a good visit. She is not a doctor, that I would see kicking my but in gear like the other doctors I've seen. She appears much more passive than I am used to. When she asked me questions, she was able to do them in non doctor speak. I could tell the wheels were turning in her head.
I've decided when I'm ready for a career change. I'm going to run a doctors office. The front office, I was not so fond of. I have high standards, and set the standards high for office staff. I consider it the mfm standard ( my mfm office ladies are super)
+PEACE+
Definitely sounds like a positive visit. I would love to read a post on what makes for a good front office staff, I haven't had to deal much with that aspect. Sounds like you know your stuff though and would bring some positive changes to places that are less than stellar.
ReplyDeleteI'll add it to my drafts to work on.
DeleteI also tested for MTHFR after Lily's diagnosis and I do have it. Have you looked at MTHFR.net? There is a resource page for doctors who specialize in it. I met with one and the first thing he said was to stop taking doctor prescribed folic acid. It was eye opening to learn more about exactly what it means.
ReplyDeleteWhen I found out I had MTHR, I switched prenatal right away. I am taking garden of life raw prenatal now. Coincidentally my stomach does much better on them.
DeleteI'm switching to Thorne brand Basic prenatal and I take b-12 and methylfolate
DeleteI think it's a good call to see a geneticist and I think trying to get your 23andme testing analyzed through a 3rd party company is a good idea too. Some of the ladies on the group can walk you through it. Your new Dr. sounds like an introvert :) sometimes it takes us quiet and reflection to see things clearly especially when dealing with high risk matters. It sounds like it was a great visit and I hope they can come up with some answers for you! Also did your husband get the mthfr testing done? I know the risk is even higher if both spouses have the mutation. I agree the mthfr.net website is a great resource!
ReplyDeleteYes my hubs had testing done too.
DeleteDr. B was my first NaPro doc in South Bend, until she moved out of the area. She did my laproscopy and hubby and I both liked her. Hope there is good fruit.
ReplyDeleteThanks mb..
DeleteI also have an MTHFR mutation that was diagnosed after we lost Elisa. I've done A LOT of research on it, so let me know if you have any questions. And I agree, MTHFR.net is a great resource. I am glad your appointment went well
ReplyDeleteThanks Maria.. did you have Karotyping done?
DeleteJust popping in to say hello and that I'm still praying for you daily. xoxo
ReplyDeletethanks Mama !!
DeleteI've heard great things about Dr. Beiter!! I hope she can be a wonderful asset to you.
ReplyDelete