Monday, May 25, 2015

Memorial Day.



 A month or so ago I received a package. 

It had a blank customs declarations  form on it.  It was post marked several weeks before. When I opened the box it had a smell I will never forget. The mix of sand, grit, sweat, tears, fear and determination. 

As I pulled out the contents; 1 neatly folded American flag and 1 weathered 2 pocket folder. The folder contained a letter.  Thanking me for the packages I sent to their troops. 

This flag has flown over a U.S. Base in an undisclosed location. It has been looked upon day and night by thousands  of service men and women. It serves as a symbol of our patriotism and reminds us of why we volunteer to serve our nation. Like our members here it has endured temperatures, dust and humidity resulting in it becoming torn and tattered, because of this it has been retired. I ask that you care for this symbol as you have cared for the men and women here. 

To honor with dignity. 


I have yet to find a case for it. I will display it next to my dads folded casket flag. 

To honor with dignity. So many meanings in this phrase. I know not just anyone receives one of these. I was sent this after David's loss. In my sleepless nights, I communicated with my cousin deployed in the undisclosed location. Not a man of many words, but To honor with dignity will stick with me for a while. 

Today, I pray for those who won't make it home, from overseas, and are head to their eternal home. 

I also want to thank those who serve our country with honor and dignity. 

3 comments: