Thursday, July 23, 2015
Passionate
I saw this almost immediately after I had David. Unfortunately my hospital ( like 99% of the hospitals in the US ) do not have one.
I decided to wait and let my heart guide me what to do with the information I have on it. I have decided to write several hospital(s) and hospital (systems), and a group who works with stillbirth parents in our state in hopes that A) the hospital would feel inclined to purchase one for their hospital. B) If I get no's start a crow-funding campaign to get one somewhere local. My biggest hurdle, I thought these things would be like 100's of thousands of dollars, or geez, every hospital should have one. Really, they are only $3,000 . Come on hospitals wake up. I get in their defense, why pay for something that's not "saving" the babies life, but really I've paid out to hospitals way more than $3,000 in extravagant bills over the course of 3 pregnancies.
So this thing pictured is called a Cuddle Cot. It's basically a cooling device disguised in a moses basket. Color changes/body changes can be delayed if the body is kept cool. What it allows is a family to have more "time" with their deceased child, before they are pressured to send it to the morgue for good.
Interestingly enough, I've had several people send me articles about them.
I wish I could buy a 100 or even a 1000.
NO parent should have to feel pressured to say good-bye, they should have adequate time to spend with their child, in a meaningful way.
The only hospital I know in my state to have one, interestingly enough, is, not a hospital that has a maternity dept. They are at a children's hospital ( used for NICU infants that pass ).
I think that 6 months has passed, the teary emotional side of me has passed, and the feisty, get it done side, is ready to get some cuddle cot placements happening.
If you would like more info on them.. shoot me an e-mail : luckysunshine25 at gmail dot com
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Well I would love to help in some way. Crowd funding, writing other hospitals... keep me posted.
ReplyDeleteWill Do !
DeleteYou should definitely consider contacting St. Joe's in Pontiac about these as they are not only a Catholic hospital but also "Baby friendly." when I was touring there in preparation for my son they spoke often about how they received the "Baby friendly" status.. So it just makes sense they would have these too. If you decide to contact them just emphasize their Catholic beliefs and the baby friendly stuff and I betcha they'd invest in some! Great idea!
ReplyDeleteErin-definitely on my list.. my MFM is based out of there.. Catholic hospitals definitely on my radar to contact first. Interestingly the only hospital in Michigan with them is Mott's ( they don't even deliver babies )
DeleteWrote the first letter tonight..
ReplyDelete