Sunday, April 24, 2016

Mower Safety

I don't want to hear of the first tragedy this year, but I'm sure with nice weather, and people having to cut their lawns for the first, second, or third time this year, I can guarantee we will see stories like this coming up in the .  news .  


Please don't let this be your child, family, family member, neighbor kid, anyone you love.




Some tips on Mower Safety   from Nationwide Children's Hospital.


My extended family had an accident with a child getting run over by a riding mower. I don't wish that pain and anguish on anyone. Here's the thing, as adults we are the ones who have to be vigilant about teaching our children NOT to be around mowers. I don't care how many "safety" devices are on a mower, children still get hurt. Also just being in the Yard while, dad, mom, or grandpa is cutting is just as much dangerous as sitting on their lap.  I have seen first hand things get sucked up from the mower blades and shot out of the grass shoot, like an arrow -- I would rather a stone, rock, etc, hit and break a window, than hit your child and injure them.


In our business, we instruct all our mower operators, to stop and turn off and ask kids to go inside if we see them out, while we are working.  ( one year, my husband bought all the neighborhood kids ice cream from the ice cream truck, and gave them a talk about staying inside and not to approach or try to talk to the mower "guys" and a little lesson that they can't hear them )  This is after sending a letter to the association and parents asking them the same.


Most kids involved in a mower accident " want " to go tell the person riding the mower- something, or tell them something "important" -- they don't understand that they are so loud, they can't hear them.


If you don't want to click on the links above, please take away from this PSA.


Do NOT ever let your child sit on someone's lap while the mower is in operation ( blades on or off )


Children under 12 should not operate a mower


Do not let children play on a mower with the key's


As parents if you see kids in the yard, STOP mowing.

2 comments:

  1. Great PSA. We don't have a motorized mower but it sure makes my blood boil when people are unsafe with theirs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this. I'll be sure to keep all mind when we visit my husband's family this summer!

    ReplyDelete