Thankfully it's not over weight. We have learned this most hurtful word while we are here. "Early Term" so in ob world 37 weeks is "term". So on everything we run into they have " stricter " measurements for early term (37 wheeks less than 38 weeks) .
We've already had to do a baby care class for early term, CPr class, car seat test (an hour in the car seat on monitors). I've had to listen to seasoned nurses tell me about doing kegels. (That talk wa oh not so fun) .
She is doing great weight wise. First weigh in, she hasn't lost any yet, and second day only minor.
I met with a super supportive lactation nurse. Who was just very honest!!! She said because she is early they are gonna. Require a whole bunch of extra milestones. That wouldn't be required of a 38 or 39 weeker. So in order to keep her weight, and not lose our supply, I am pumping. Not what I dreamed for, but in order to meet everyone else's demands, we are doing this for the time being. So we 3 part plan is pump ( so my milk will come in), offer breast first (she gets very distracted, because it is very distracting and Lizzie does not like an audience. Then we give her the pumped milk, and then some supplement .
Now the issue at 50 hours old ( yes they count hours for early terms. Her bilirubin is normal for a 38 weeker, but hey she's 37, so she needs photo therapy to come down. The number she needs to achieve is different at each hour old. We tried overnight and it didn't come down enough to get us outta here. So we have to stay again, and it will be retested at 6am on Sunday. (Fathers Day) so I'd u can pray for anything it's that we can go home.
The stuff in our favor, she is cueing to eat on her own, she's wetting and having regular poops, almost after each feed, and she's not sleepy during feeds. The hardest is not being able to hold her. The phototherapy should reduce her number 2pts in the next. 24 hours, enough to get her under the curve.


Glad she's coming along on their check points. At least the CPR class is good to know anyway! Definitely praying for you guys to get to go home. She looks so cute! Does your hospital have the biliblankets? So you can hold her while she gets phototherapy?
ReplyDeleteNo bili blankets. The veteran neonatologist does not want them in his nursery!! Not arguing with him, since we've been here, 2 other term babies have been brought in for his care, highly jaundice (one was very yellow) with a bili score of 24 . The baby was limp. So now I'm appreciative he's being strict with us. The lights can only shave about 2 pts a day. The other kid has a long road to get down.
DeleteAll of this still makes me smile so much because she is HERE. Charlotte had all kinds of drama with jaundice so I can totally relate there, even though you know that they are "fine" you are like "please just let me enjoy this baby already!" Remind yourself that you are a tough mama (because you are!!!) and that this hospital stay will be over before you know it! Sending prayers!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks Mama!! I'm counting the minutes now, hopefully only 6 more hours here!! Staying positive
DeleteThere are some bumps on the road but you overcame so much more in the past. You will get through the challenges and back home together before you know. Sending you hugs and prayers.
ReplyDeleteYes, I did have a meltdown this morning about not coming home, but got some much needed sleep this afternoon and was much better about being here. I also apologized to the nurse and doctor for my crying this morning.
DeletePraying you get out of there tomorrow!
ReplyDeleteThanks Beth!!
DeleteFelicity had mild jaundice although she was not early, maybe they have the biliblanket you can use so at least you can still be holding her, or nursing her while she's getting phototherapy? It's crazy the things they make these days for babies! Hopefully she can come home on Father's Day!
ReplyDeleteThanks, we've checked no bili blanket. When we feed we keep her out and stimulate her for about 1/2 HR total. So she also doesn't become the lethargic baby they talk about.
DeleteI'm glad they are being super attentive, but I know how much nice it is to be home.
ReplyDeleteYou got this. She's a beauty, even in blue.
Hospitals seem to vary so much on these policies. I was unceremoniously wheeled out of a hospital with 35 wk twins in arms, two days post partum, no extra anythings and not a word about carseats. I could have taken them home in a laundry basket for all the hospital cared. Weird.
ReplyDeleteSo hard to not be able to hold her.
ReplyDeleteSo hard to not be able to hold her.
ReplyDelete