Friday, December 30, 2011

Patron Saint

After reading TCIE's post about per patron saint for 2012 tonight, I meandered over to :
http://www.jenniferfulwiler.com/saints/  to choose one for myself.

I let the computer due it's magic and this is what showed up:

St. Marguerite Bourgeous

Patron: Against poverty; impoverishment; loss of parents; people rejected by religious orders; poverty.

I find it interesting that she is who was chosen for me.  Today is the 8th anniversary of my fathers funeral.  I remember certain details very vividly.  I remember it being very very cold out; in the middle of a blizzard actually.  It was snowing about an inch an hour. I remember putting my letter to him  in the secret compartment in his casket. I remember having to take  his hat and the medals off his Army uniform before they closed the casket; while everyone was waiting in the church for the mass of burial to begin.  I remembered the giant red poinsettias that adorned his casket. I remember the playing of taps in the snowy cemetery and the 21 gun salute. I remember the servicemen folding the flag ever so carefully and tucking the shell casings into the flag. Handing it to their officer & him presenting it to me saying: on behalf of the President & the United States of America. We thank him for his service to our country. That flag is sitting in a case in my living room.

I will be surely praying with St. Marguerite Bourgeous this year, and feel comforted by her !

No comments:

Post a Comment