I had the pleasure, to serve our judicial system, last week.
There were about 200 people in the jury pool. I got picked randomly, but immediately after listening to the jury instructions for the day. We were marched to the court room on the 3rd floor. We were introduced as the jury pool to the case. My juror # was not called initially, but as people were excused. I eventually made it to an open spot on the jury & they asked me a couple of questions & were satisfied w/ their jury.. I thought to myself Oh NO! What did I get myself into.
I spent the next 2 days, listening to testimony & evidence in a Civil case, from an automobile/injury case. We live in a NO-Fault state, so we weren't determining fault. We were only to determine did this passenger (plantiff) in the automobile, sustain injuries in the accident or were her supposed injuries result from something else. If we felt she was injured in the accident, we were to put a monetary value on her Emotional damage, Embarrasement, Lack of Enjoyment in Hobbies, and Lack of "Wifely" duties.
After listening to testimony & questioning thru interpretors( she didn't speak english). We the jury found that her "injury" was not a cause of the minor car accident.
When the jurors were allowed to talk among ourselves about the case, everyone had different stories to relate to not being able to do this or that, because of something, but never did we dream of suing anyone for it. I never spoke up about IF, but I thought long and hard, about what monetary value, could we put on IF. Thank goodness we never got to the point in the case of having to assign a value to her Emotional damage, Embarassement, Lack of enjoyment & wifely duties. But if I had to put a value on IF. that would be hard. Would it be more for emotional damage, embarrasement, lack of various things??
Interesting reflections! I was kind of shocked that the lady sued over something that didn't really cause her injury - what a waste of time. That's so interesting, thinking about the "value" of the suffering caused by IF. I like the way you put it. How could anyone come up with a # that covered all the suffering someone goes through? Not that it's "infinite" suffering, just that it's something that can't be quantified, I think. Like who can put a price tag on losing a loved one or being betrayed by a friend?
ReplyDeleteAlso, I have jury duty coming up in February - NOT looking forward to it!
I've been notified about jury duty, but never actually been called to the court house, as the trial is usually cancelled or settled. Very interesting ... the case you talk about ... and especially putting a dollar amount on IF! I'd never thought about it that way. If there were a dollar amount, I'd say at least it would be in the hundreds of thousands. ;-) ... I can dream, right? ;-)
ReplyDeleteJury duty is not an experience I've ever had (I'm sure it will be coming now that I've said that).
ReplyDeleteOur justice system is an interesting disaster, IMHO. Kinda like a train wreck - ha!
A price tag on IF? I wouldn't even know where to start.
Hmmmmm a price on IF, not sure I would be able to give it a $ amount. Well maybe enough to adopt a couple of kids ;)
ReplyDelete