I've heard many comments from well meaning people after the losses of my children, like you have an angel; the notion of angel babies, your baby received his wings, you now have a guardian angel.
I found this blog post from Elizabeth Ministry.
It greatly helped me explain to people why we as Catholics, BELIEVE.
We believe in Angels, and we believe in Saints, but the two have different purpose.
When someone we love dies, they go to heaven, but they do not the become an angel. You see angels have no physical body, they are just a spirit. Angels are a different form of creation than humans. Yes we believe in guardian angels, but they are completely spirit, something we will never physically see, nor hold. How we envision angels, ( white garments, wings ) is just that, angels may not truly look like that.
When humans die, our physical body, separates from our soul (spirit). After our resurrection, we receive our new glorified body in heaven. If we recognize all people's worth, we recognize them as Saints, not angels; including all persons, old, young, middle aged, men, women, born, and unborn in-utero. Our loved ones become our own patron Saint.
So if we are truly a pro-life society, and human life begins at conception, all humans become Saints upon their death, no matter if we physically saw them or not.
I challenge you, to find something to commemorate a loss of a child, that does not have an angel....
Artists we need you to come up with something..
I recently joined some online support groups, to make sure I'm getting support for our loss of David. I just can't handle the constant chatter about angels. I also have not found a truly "Catholic" support group. The one that sounded like it was, is all about angels. I'm just not in a place to, play catechism teacher.
When we lost our baby last year I was very frustrated with this same thing. My baby is not an angel. He is a saint. Even the catholic books refer to babies who die as Angels.
ReplyDeleteBooks, a whole other topic.
DeleteI always think of Lily as my sweet little saint in Heaven. :)
ReplyDeletePraying to Lily.
DeleteI lost a child to miscarriage four years ago. I got to the point that, when other people spoke of miscarriage I just never mentioned my baby any more. I was tired of people saying "angels", and I didnt' want to hear it again. I'm sorry you're having to deal with this frustration as you try to find support in your fresh grief.
ReplyDeleteSorry for your loss. We shouldn't have to hide our Saints
DeleteI always refer to Gregory as our little Saint. It does not stop others from calling him an angel though. I hope you find a group that will help and will not call your children angels.
ReplyDeletePrayers for Saint Gregory!
Delete