Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Gardening on: a budget


Spring has Sprung!!


Daffodils are the first sign of spring in my yard. We have a bunch that come up in the woods. Best part about them, they come back year after year, with little to no effort on my part. They are an awesome pop of color after the long dull brown winter.

So many people know the business my husband is in, so they ask for lots of tips this time of year. Everyone is so over the winter blah's and is ready to spruce up their piece of the Earth.

What are the biggest constraints homeowners have in making their place what they want.
A) TIME
B) MONEY

I'm going to offer some suggestions for Spring on how to achieve some of your outdoor goals without breaking the bank. 

For the record, my experience is in the Midwest with hardiness zones 5-6. If you don't know what zone you are, you can look Here to find out.

Without breaking the bank tips:
Attend a Plant Swap -- They are generally held in the spring..when it is perfect time to divide up your perennials

Start from Seed- annuals  & veggies - ( not for everyone -- will take a while for color ) the Pro to this is seed packets are inexpensive.

Farmers Market finds  --I often find awesome deals at farmers markets.

Out of Season Perennials -- Once nursery stock is past it's prime, they usually discount the plants, because who wants to buy a shriveled up looking plant..  Yes I DO !  because it will be 75% off & come back next year looking perfect.   A nursery by me has what they call a "hospital area". I love looking to see what I can get a bargain on.

Craigslist or bartering sites- in our area, many people post things for free; including plants, rocks, and landscape materials, they are looking to get rid of, all you have to do is pick it up.

Help a neighbor in their yard; in exchange for some divided plants. ( hostas, daylilies, sedum, herbs, all divide up well ) I have a neighbor who I often help and she repays in plants that have overgrown their spot; or divides them up & gives me some.

Purchase bare root plants - less expensive than fully bloomed varities; the downfall, is you may not see the full potential of your labors, for another year.   Great tips on Planting bulbs  Packaged bulbs are less expensive than their expensive potted versions..

Construction site finds. I am always on the lookout for plants in the way of construction. **disclaimer** please be sure to ask before you dig, as you can be considered trespassing if you don't have permission. I've saved lilacs, daylilies, and hostas from the bulldozer.

Join a garden club. Gets you in touch with other gardeners, most gardeners like to share their plant species with other people.

Perennials  I try to use as many perennial plants as possible. Reserve annual plants for pops of instant color or places you can't plant flowers, like pots on a deck. Perennials come in many colors, and they come back year to year.

Every town has an inexpensive plant nursery. We drive about 45 minutes to a resonably priced plant nursery, that is well worth the drive. Prices are around 1/2 off the regular prices in my area. I never buy from the big box stores ( the orange place or the blue store ).. .. stuff is usually over priced; and generally not help in picking out selections there.

 
 
 
 
 
 

So how have I put all these into action around my house.. My house, is like the shoemakers children, often neglected, bare-footed if you will. We really have not purchased a lot of plants around our house; partly because I hate to send good plants to the landfill.

So we have 3 foot egg rock borders on the rear of our house foundation; courtesy of rock that was going to go to the landfill. We purchased black diamond edging to finish it off.   rock is $$$ a ton.

On the shade side of our house, we have a border of Hostas, courtesy of a construction project where they were going to be tore out and disposed of.

On the sunny side of our house we have a border of daylilies courtesy of a church building project and they were not a part of the new design.

I have an herb garden, of plants from a plant swap.  Chives, Marjoram, Thyme, and Mint. I supplement it with annual herbs each year.

I have another garden started from bare root plants, raspberries, strawberries, hostas, roses, daylilies.

I have some various plants from my neighbor, when she divides or thinks I need some of her roots.

I keep room in my veggie garden area, for donations, until I find the perfect spot in my yard. I never refuse "free" plants. I always am willing to dig something up & share with a friend if needed too.




Next I will write about :
Most common thing people ask for: C O L O R    How do I add Color to my landscape.

4 comments:

  1. Great tips! I'm thinking of getting the veggie garden started that I didn't get to last year. Hmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That becomes a time issue for me.. I guess last on my priority list. SO I end up buying a flat of veggies that have been started. ( the long germination stuff like tomatoes ) and will do the quick germinating stuff from seeds. In part too that our growing season is very short & I don't have a greenhouse to start growing in.

      Delete
  2. I'm not sure I'll ever be good at gardening... But I look forward to trying when we buy a house in a few years :-). Hopefully I'll remember some of these tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, start small.. even just a pot on a patio.. Tomatoes, basil, herbs, all do well in a patio pot.. & will give you some fresh supplements in the kitchen.

      Delete