Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Genetics

I've only been diving into the whole genetics thing for a couple weeks, to see if it can lead us into some answers as to our losses.


Genetics:
The branch of biology that deals with heredity, especially the mechanisms of hereditary transmission and the variation of inherited traits among similar or related organisms.

We did 23 & me testing about 4 weeks ago. Hubs & I. 

See he was adopted as a baby.. closed. as was common in that day and age.  We have no family history, no genetics so to say to fall back on. 

Every time we've had a loss, they do a survey, with 100's of questions. Always is asked, what is your ethnic origin & most people assume.. just because of your "last name" that you are of xxxx origin.

Also in our pregnancy appointments, they ask questions about ethnicity, because of certain origins, having pre-dispositions to carry certain diseases.  ( we now know, that he is a % of an ethnicity that should have some further testing if we get pregnant again )  -- Don't get me started, why none of the doctors, suggested genetic testing before this, to find out origin, since we did not know it ...

Well we now know what his biological "origin" is ; but it is nothing close to what he was raised, and what he associates with.  He doesn't even like the food of his ethnicity. 

We've had some good talks about how you answer the question about what origin are you? When your name defines you as  XXX and you are YYYY..  Do you explain? Hubs will just go with what he has been.   Just because some chromosomes now say he's YYY.. doesn't mean he's not XXX..

I believe the traits he can be characterized by, are what he was raised with, not what some lab test says he is.   Heredity I feel is what you are passed down from your parents, how to act as a human, how to behave, how to love, Faith, how to treat others. That to me is not found in a petri dish.

HE is not disappointed with finding out what "origin" he is.  I will say, he does not wish to find out who is biological parents are; that will not change.  He was happy to know that by doing these tests, and knowing that the % he is of a certain ethnicity may answer some questions ; to loss..

4 comments:

  1. I can relate on some level. My mother was adopted as an infant, also closed. So when we're doing family history with doctors we've got little to go on for that side. Just my mother and she doesn't have any health problems. So when they say "any cancer in your family" I can truly say "not that I know of" but that's not saying much. Also my father is a first generation American and his parents were both born in Poland and were displaced as young children in Russian labor camps. Many of their parents/uncles/etc. died. So while I do know the health history of my grandparents I can't go any further back than that. I am glad you have some answers though. But you're right, I absolutely identify with some of the cultural norms that probably have nothing to do with me genetically.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Madeline, I was mislead about my known family history, because of stories, passed down, of where people came from.. Now knowing what it really is; I'm befuddled as to the stories if they are old wives tales or what ? Thankfully I have no big cancer scares to worry about, but heart issues are more important in my genetics.

      Delete
  2. Wow...sounds interesting and now you may have a piece to the puzzle as to why the losses keep happening. That is good that finding out his "origin" won't change his life much. Just gives some possible answers. Praying for you as you keep looking for answers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have a new file of questions for our doctors. I feel like I need to book a day with the docs to go thru everything..

      Delete