Monday, July 9, 2012

Fresh Market Recipe

So this has made it to the weekly circuit for dinners.

Z.ucchini Stuff
2 Medium Zucchini - diced into 1" cubes
2 Medium Yellow Squash diced into 1" cubes
4 Roma Tomatoes diced into 1" cubes
1  10.5 oz can Whole tomatoes in sauce.cut tomatoes into quarters
1 small onion finely diced
1 clove garlic minced
1 teaspoon each , salt, pepper, oregano
1 tablespoon fresh basil - cut into ribbons.
1-2 tablespoons of olive oil.

Do all your cutting as the recipe calls for.
Heat pan with the Oil. saute the onion & garlic til translucent. stir once or twice.
Saute zucchini & squash  & roma tomatoes for approx 7 minutes on medium heat.
Stir in canned tomatoes.season with salt ,pepper, oregano..simmer for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat & add basil.  Serve as a veggie side, over a starch(if u are allowed any) To make a one dish entree serve with Ground meat..like beef, turkey, pork sausage, veal. or with grilled chicken.  Allowed dairy.. serve with some parmesan cheese..

My tip. I haven't used canned tomatoes yet.. I just chop up a large juicy tomato or 2--a day ahead & let it sit in the refrigerator & juice up.. and use that.   All fresh here !!  I've also added other veggies into it.. like spinach and swiss chard.

Courtesy of D.estiny Catering who frequent my local Farmers Market.. they demo'd this about a month ago when zucchini started coming in .. Delicious.

2 comments:

  1. Mmm, sounds great! I do love squash and zucchini!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm anxious to try it. Thanks for posting this recipe!!!
    I know the hubby will be the one to convince to try it ... he's not a fan of zucchini or squash, but I'm game to give it a go. :-)

    ReplyDelete