Thursday, June 6, 2013

attire

I don't understand why women/ladies/girls don't have enough respect for themselves to wear, appropriate clothing. 

I just saw pictures of a cousin at her "award ceremony" at school. It's a good thing you put that caption, because I might have been fooled to think she was getting ready to walk the streets for $$. ( this is an example of what she was wearing, my cousin is 13) She's been involved in some other questionable behavior for her age & her mother says things, like we'll she picked it out, or what can I do. I said something like, well she doesn't have a job, so why are you spending your hard earned money to let her dress like that. This is also the same family, who doesn't believe in forcing religion on their kids, they say " well when they are interested they can figure out what they like". Soo infuriating.

 We have a new bunch of summer interns at work, the one working the closest to me, is one of the big bosses daughter ( can you say conflict of interest). We used to be bold enough to tell interns that " that" is not appropriate for work, but being the bosses kid. We are biting our tongue. She wore something just like this yesterday.. & we were all   saying OMG.   We are in our corporate office, big office, suits & ties, casual for us, is no suit jacket. When I started they had a class for us on appropriate attire for work including colors guidelines. (solids, black, navy, tan suits ) no bold colors.
Bold colors were for the beach according to them & not for the office. Best thing I learned in the class, was; just because you just bought it at:____insert favorite store____ does not mean it is appropriate for work, or just because you spent $$$ on it, doesn't mean it's appropriate for work. Some things are more apropriate for the club. Friday's are casual but we are still professional. Today, the bosses daughter  had some outfit that looked like a ballerina.. Leggings w/ some short ballerina looking skirt.. that didn't cover her thighs.. Oh My !!

Had a conversation w/ my much younger SIL last summer. She went to work on "casual" Friday wearing a strapless MAXI dress. She works in a professional setting. She has worked at a big girl job for 3 years now. Her boss made a comment about her attire, I think more along the lines, like it's not appropriate, but he didn't phrase it that well & she was asking talking abou sexual harrassement. She asked me what would I do at my work if that happened.. I said first off  that type of conversation would have never happened, cuz in no way would we wear a maxi dress, none the less strapless anything to work. She was like, well it was casual day.. I was like casual is not a strapless anything in a professional setting. She looked confused.

 
I wonder if these girls wear this type of attire, because that's what they see their role models wearing. & who do they envision as role models. 

2 comments:

  1. I have a serious problem with the length of skirts and dresses on young girls these days. Matt has made several comments when we are out and about that Reagan will never leave the house looking like that etc etc.

    Thankfully I work in a very casual office (like I can wear a tshirt if I want too) but I still have to be covered up and no rips or tears. After working here I'm not sure I could start wearing suits and such.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh jeez! I can't believe people feel like that is appropriate! I guess some people are oblivious (esp the bosses daughter) ... but how "fun" is it to have other people oogle their "goodies", especially the strapless dress wearer. Bending down ... ummm, yeah. Not a good thing.
    I wish others would feel the same as you! I agree with you wholeheartedly!

    ReplyDelete