Thursday, February 27, 2014

7 in 7 travel

I love to travel. Just haven't done much of it lately, or up to pre-marriage standards.

I have a lot of things/places checked off in the book 1000 places to see before you die.

on the U.S homefront. I have been to a fair # of states, not all, but a lot. I have a cousin, who has been to all, but 2 ( AK & HI )

My list includes: Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Delaware, Maryland, D.C. Tennessee, Kentucky, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado, Arizona, California, New Mexico, Washington, North Carolina, Hawaii, and Wisconsin. So a little over half of them, but don't make me pick a favorite. Some of those places were to see family, and some were for excitement, some I went to for work, and some were for pure enjoyment( Hawaii ).

Before I was married, I traveled for work, a fair amount ( in the US ) made it to some places, I definitely would never make it to on my own. ( French Lick, IN ). One Christmas I drove a car w/ my friend from Michigan to Arizona. Long trip!! Went to Hawaii with my dad, he  passed 2 months after that, we stayed in all military hotels, was by far a top 5 trip, and time I will cherish forever.

Travel outside of the country; Canada, Mexico, Germany, Italy, Austria, and Amsterdam.

Canada to us, is like just another state, since we are so close to it, but we go there often enough, been to all the biggies, like Niagara Falls, Toronto, Georgian Bay, Tobermory, London, etc. We go most summers since we've been married to my husbands family cottage in Canada. ( long time in the car, to stay for only a long weekend, our visit usually involves some sort of "work" ) We stay in the cozy cottage, that looks like this.The header picture on my blog, is from the road to this cottage. The second picture is of the views from the ferry we take to get to it.

 
 

 



Mexico was my first trip out of the country by myself. Admittedly I was a girl scout growing up, and went on a trip to the "world center" which was in Mexico City. It was 2 weeks, very different cultural experience for only being 13.  We also visited Cancun several times growing up, and I took hubs there for our fall honeymoon.  ( we got married in May, but because of our business, couldn't get away for more than a night, we opted to hold off our honeymoon til the fall, the only time since we've been married, that we both have gone away for more than 3 days together )

My first trip to Europe was for a pilgrimage (WYD), and went to Italy.  Second trip to Europe was on a walking tour of Italy. Third trip (WYD) was to Germany, but we stopped in Amerstdam, went to Italy, and drove thru Austria, on our way to Germany.  European vacations deserve a post of their own.

So around home, when we need to escape we jet away in our SUV to Frankenmuth, or Traverse City.
 

little gem was taken in a vineyard overlooking the West Bay in Traverse City.
 
When the hubs & I got married. We I made a list of places I would love to go, as a couple. Those included Paris, Italy, Hawaii, Key's-Miami-Ft. Lauderdale, New York, California Wine Country.  To date none of those places have been visited by us as a couple. This list was made before our honeymoon.. I have it on our refrigerator as a reminder each day of our my dreams.


I think a big reason why we haven't explored many of the destinations on the "list", is IF. There was always a big what if, I were pregnant, I might not be able to travel that far, or what if I got sick, or what if. I am ready to stop what if'ing and LIVE. If peanut part III doesn't happen soon, I'm ready to book some tickets & Goooooooooo. I've also turned down a lot of travel at work, since I've been married, I'm ready to start saying yes.. cuz even if I can't travel with hubs, just getting away, even if for "work" it's good.

Manitoulinn Island, CAN
Do you  have somewhere you desire to go or a recommendation?

 

4 comments:

  1. Umm...the most obvious place you haven't been to yet is Minnesota? I mean, come on...you went to WI and didn't venture just a bit further west. I think you need to remedy that and come visit us sometime. Seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live about 30 miles from the World's Largest Ball of Twine. If that is not tempting, I don't know what is. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like some great places that you've been!

    ReplyDelete