Tuesday, February 4, 2014

A day in the life of the SnowPlow wife.

A glimpse into my glam life lately.

3am - get up check weather. if snowing, set alarm for 5:30am,

5:30am - get up, start  SUV to warm up, drive to Grandma's house, shovel driveway.. so she can leave at 6:15 am for morning mass. Return home to shovel elderly neighbors driveway, so she can get her meals on wheels delivery. Work on shoveling my driveway.

7:00am Walk into house to hear 7am alarm going off. Time to get up & get ready for work. ( the work that gives me medical insurance). 

7:45am leave for work.

8:30am hear many jabs, that we must be rolling in the dough, because it's snowing soo much.  By now hubs has probably called to make sure I made it to work safely & give me an update on how horrible the weather is.

12Noon Lunch " me " time. ( grocery shopping, pick up dry cleaning, etc )

1pm count the minutes to 5pm. (tentative quitting time)

5:23 realist time I leave work. Talk to sister & nephews on my way home.

5:45pm arrive home to cook some sorta dinner. So husband can go to bed.

6:15pm. Laundry, dishes, or cleaning of some sort. Kiss Husband goodnight..

7:00pm Work on SnowPlow business , billing, accounting, returning e-mails. etc.

9:00pm catch up on life.. social media,  check work e-mails., bake some cookies for the snow plow guys, etc.

10:00pm watch Early News station , watch weather report.

11:00pm watch Late News station to watch weather report.  Send husband an e-mail so he has info when he wakes up at 2am. Wake him up if situation is urgent.

11:23 PM realize another cycle is down the drain, because of the stupid weather !

Mixed in there are crazy calls from the hubs asking random questions, for me to look up while i'm in front of the computer.

In our area, we have not had a "weekend" off since the first week of December.  Most snow plow drivers --private and municipal workers have been working without breaks since before Christmas. which means, a lot of stress on their spouses. The news here, has done a good job, of explaining that they are burnt out , they are fatigued. Most people at a traditional job, get their weekends off, or at least some rotating schedule off.  Snow Plow Professionals have had no break. Although it hasn't snowed "every" single day, it's been very consistent, and there are many " after" the storm activities that have to be done, like maintenance, fixing equipment, and refilling used items. Someone like my husband goes out to make sure our properties haven't iced up overnight, blowing  snow drifted, they may do this several nights after a snow "occurence".  At night, is the best time to avoid cars which are a snow plow drivers worst nightmare. My husband snow plows, because he feels this is what he was called to do, it does not make us rich people. We don't overcharge like some people do. We also pick who our "charities" are that we help, so don't call & think we want to help "everyone" out.  So if you call & think you are doing us a favor by asking if we can plow your driveway, when a 10" snowfall is expected , don't be offended when we say no. The only person we help out, are our 90 year old neighbor, and my 85 year old grandmother. If you are a healthy individual, who is lazy, I suggest buying a shovel. 10 " of snow doesn't appear in 1 hour. It will take on average 20 hours to come down, so I would suggest doing what I do, go out every couple of hours, to make it manageable. Yes.. We own 8 vehicles with plows & a dozen snow blowers, and yes. I use a 18.99 shovel to clear my own driveway, because the last thing I want my husband to have to worry about after he's been working for days, is our house. So if I tell you where you can buy a shovel, don't be offended.

Count down the days til March 15  ( day we consider the end of Snow Season )

4 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I hope it lets up soon so you all can get some rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't begin to tell you how grateful we are for our snow plow drivers, the one that does our house and the one the does my in-laws for us. I can't imagine dealing with weather that the rest us us would rather avoid whenever it needs to be done. Prayers for safe travels for your DH!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Insane! I hope you and your husband get some extra sleep soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the other ladies here. I really hope you guys get time together again soon. Prayers!

    ReplyDelete