Let's just say the only thing that didn't come true was being sent home for the non-kosher apple pie.
So I arrived 20 minutes early ( well parking lot ) took me 12 minutes to get to the department, because they do not know how to give directions ( not suprised). Find dept.. they keep the door locked until 1pm cuz they are closed for lunch. As I'm leaning against the wall waiting; the elevator door opens ( didn't look like a functioning elevator, that old ) ... The first thing I see, is a gun in a holster. Then the brown uniform.. then followed by a wheelchair being pushed by another brown uniform. Can't be so.. Someone from the local county jail. The sheriff escorting, miffed that he has to wait for the 1pm appointment..so they wheel down the hall, I'd guess it's not his first visit here.
1pm on the dot, the door opens; we are told to come in. Person behind desk, ask me my name.. she shuffles thru a bunch of stuff, then says what does your last name start with.. REALLY !!! for those that know.. I hope you laugh, cuz I was dying inside. She asks for my ID & keeps it.. ( not cool ).. says have a seat in the waiting room ( no mention of where it was ) and that registration will come and get me.
So as I'm sitting in the waiting room.. I unfortunately notice that the woman across the room, has zero undergarments on.. about lost my lunch.. wait didn't have lunch yet.. start eating a protein bar to try and advert my attention. Thankful when I get called to the registration.. chair..
This place was straight out of the 50's so far behind in everything. I return to the nice view in the waiting room. I open my email from pray more novenas..
At 1:25 I get called back for my 1pm appointment.
So we meet in room ( find out later it's a doctors office -- she just wasn't here that day ) nothing fancy!!
So we is the Geneticist ( someone with a bachelors or masters, no more schooling ) and a student geneticist. She was nice, but new herself, and from what I read, she primarily counsels cancer patients, is filling in, in the Maternal Fetal dept, because their person is on maternity leave. She asked a lot of questions ( my chart never fully made it to this hospital ) She asked a lot ( of the same questions, I've been asked before ) about family history. But no red flags, because my husband is adopted. So they don't think it's necessary that we know nothing on his side, and don't order any additional tests. She also doesn't answer some of my key questions, ( Askenazi Jewish heritage ) ..
Correlation that all our losses are boys. She just counsels me that because I'm getting older, my odds of having a downs baby increase, and why would I still want to have a child knowing that. She thoroughly goes thru the options of tests to identify downs, when preg, and HIGHLY advises I have those done.. I said, why? well don't you want to know, so you can make decisions about that.. She was young, and obviously not Catholic!! Then has the audacity to ask, did I get accomplished in the appointment what I thought I would.. ( ((NO ) )). I had brougth my 23 & Me results that had been input in Genetic genie.. She scoffed at 23 & me. saying, did I honestly think I would get a lot of answers for $99 vs spending $1000's on proper genetic gtesting.. Her professional opinion, is I have a string of bad luck. So she packs up & leaves and says she'll consult with the doctor for a minute & he'll be in.. She did not offer to do any proper genetic testing you know the $$$$ kind. So my husbands background was not checked any further.. ( still not sure that's the best way to go )
45 minutes later.. Dr. K comes in. I've met Dr. K before, when I was transferred to his office when Andrew was born.. His comments to me at the time, were not Catholic & I asked to not see him during David's pregnancy. He is very talented ( and claims to be Catholic ) . He comes in and asks if we've met before. I said yes. He looks puzzled. I gave him the details of our brief encounter.. He then apologizes for his words. I said well.. thank you.. I said I am open to a fresh start, but please know telling me to abort my son, will never be tolerated!
So he looks over the info sent over on David's pregnancy. He asks some questions. He is concerned with the placental report. He says, it shows a blood clot in the placenta. NaPro doctor who sent me to see the geneticist & the MFM, wanted them to investigate Thromobphilia. . . He asks me about the tests run after David.. I said.. all the doctors would run is standard ACOG tests, no one ran anything outside of the box... I said I'm sick of trying to be shoved in a little box.. Obviously we need to think outside the box. He ran a bunch of blood work. ( lab lady didn't want to listen to me about drawing my blood -- I won out in the end ). Dr. K advises that I start taking baby aspirin every day. He looks at the genetic genie stuff, and takes my copy to look into the MTHFR deficiencies further.. he gave me permission to TTC. said because of my age, he would give permission to start now. ( not that I was asking for his approval ) None the less, he said he waited to help me thru a pregnancy. The only other thing he offered for future pregnancy; Kick Counts. I said NO ONE mentioned them last time.. He looked shocked, I said now I know; I said with anterior placenta, I didn't feel much movement, so nothing seemed out of the ordinary. he also said he would encourage earlier delivery.. so not going past 37 weeks.
I had them make me a copy of all the blood work they requested, so I can review with my dr on wednesday.. He's making me come in to get a refill, so I'll bombard him with questions.
I don't feel like I had an excellent visit. I think the genetic part was definitely a waste of time; but honestly think if it were a different person, it would have been completely different. I won't leave any stones uncovered.
Sorry if this is mumbled.. I'm tired, but wanted to get the meaty part posted while it's still fresh.


I'm so sorry about the geneticist, that's just awful. I can't imagine someone saying those things, on top of not being helpful at all.
ReplyDeleteI feel physically like i'm 25 ( maybe 30 ) definitely not 40.. but this lady made me mentally feel like i'm 70. Almost you would see me in a magazine for being that old lady having a kid.
DeleteI'm so sorry about the geneticist. I am working with a naturopath doc who specializes in MTHFR...in fact he only works with patients dealing with it. He told me that every patient has had bad luck and zero help working with a geneticist and genetic counselors. After talking with this doc, I finally have some peace of mind in regards to MTHFR and possibly trying to conceive again. I'm so sorry you have to go through this and I am so sorry you've had bad luck with doctors.
ReplyDeleteI haven't found anyone close who deals with MTHFR; geneticist was not very informative.
DeleteThis is the doc I have worked with. He's local, but all of our consults have been on the phone anyway. Maybe he could help? http://www.drdanebuxbaum.com
DeleteI've been thinking of you. What a disappointment. I will be praying that some good comes of all this.
ReplyDeleteThanks Madeline
DeleteI keep thinking about the asking what your last name starts with. Ha! But otherwise, what a nightmare :-/
ReplyDeleteYes, Katie.. I was O'so shocked.
DeleteWhile that geneticist (really, IS she one??) was totally crappy, it sounds like Dr. K gave you some good info. I'm really glad he apologized to you. I hope he will be an advocate for you from now on.
ReplyDeleteThe lady in the waiting room ... oh.my.goodness!!! Barf. I can only imagine.
And truly laughing out loud at asking what your last name starts with ... Sheesh!! :)