Saturday, May 4, 2013

CSA Week 1



It will be a good little journal for me to keep track of what we receive each week in our Full share CSA box. The box we get is intended for a family of 4-5. So we split our share w/ my sister & the 2 monkeys & my mom and step dad. Someone is always traveling or not going to be home for a few nights.. so this works out for all of us. Our farmers decided this year to do away w/ the quarter share, which my  mom had in the past, and since my sister is down one person in her house, we decided to all share a box this year. My mom volunteers for our farmers in the winter, so they treat us well & know we all split the produce. 

Week 1
1 yellow onion
1 Large head of Romaine Lettuce (much greener than the grocery store stuff too )
1 Large head of Red Leaf Lettuce
1 bag of Parsley
1 big bag of Kale
1 big bag of Baby Spinach
1 lb of popcorn
large bunch of radishes
and some fresh cut chives.

Since my mom doesn't return from vacation til Tuesday. My sister & I split the lettuces in half and kept some of each. She kept the Kale to try & roast it & I took the spinach ( I already have the hard boiled eggs ready for spinach salad )

The picture is of one of the August weekly boxes.. Look at all that stuff..

8 comments:

  1. It looks fantastic!
    I found a CSA farm locally (like in the same town! Yippee! Which was fantastic because where I live now is SO small ... ok, about 25k, so small is relative). But they were all full up.
    However, they still sell their produce at the local farmers market, starting in a few weeks, so I will definitely be going. Thank You for the info on this!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bummer they didn't have spots left..But good that they sell at the farmers market. Get to know them. & ask questions, I know in our CSA last year, one became available mid-year because someone's job got transferred & they were moving out of state.. So someone purchased the remaining weeks from the person.

      Delete
  2. Wow I thought that picture was your 1st box and was amazed you were getting tomatoes in May!!! We're thinking about joining a csa too. We love veggies :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry for the spoiler.. wouldn't it be awesome for fresh homegrown tomatoes already!!

      Delete
  3. That is awesome! We get a box of organic produce delivered to us every other week through "Farm Fresh 2 You." Is that the same thing as a CSA? If not the CSA sounds much better because you are supporting the actual farm and it seems that you have more of a relationship with the farm through a CSA. I would love to get meat and eggs farm fresh as well, it is kind of hard to find here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kat,check out http://www.localharvest.org/csa/
      for more info on CSA's . Community Supported Agriculture. In a CSA you involved in risk/benefit from the farm. We don't select what we get each week, we receive what is ready to be picked that week. The risk, last year, we didn't get broccoli, because it bolted before it could be picked, but we received lots of Cabbage, because it did very very well.

      Delete
  4. We joined up through the CSA my work offers this year. it doesn't start until June 8, though, due to the unusually cool/wintery spring we've had. But I am excited!!

    ReplyDelete