Thursday, May 16, 2013
More on CSA's
I found this great article, that goes thru a list of Pro's & Con's of CSA's ( Community Supported Agriculture) Pro's & Con's
I'll add my comments on a couple of the articles points.
My CSA cost was a little higher than they mention, ours is $600 but that covers us from May-October, and is to feed a family of 4 ( which it's more than enough for 8 of us each week ) I suspect, since they are talking NYC, their CSA is for 2 people.
I get a list of what we're receiving in our Saturday basket, on Friday evening, so I have a little time to plan, prepare for the next week. 1st, if we have a pleathera of zucchini, I shred it & freeze it, have an awesome recipe for chocolate zucchini cupcakes.. *my husband has no idea he is eating zucchini* I have to sneek some things in like that for him. If we get lots of tomatoes, that we're not going to use, I make up a batch of red sauce and freeze it. Or my catch all if we have a lot of " I don't know's or a LOT of what are we going to do w/ all this, I make kitchen sink soup.. ( AKA Minestrone) I usually start w/ the same base ingredients, but it will vary depending on what we have lots of. I will package it up for lunch for the week & freeze, what I don't think I'm going to use immediately. I use these awesome "Ball" canning jars that are plastic, and work wonderfully for the freezer.
My CSA has a FB group page & we can post pictures, ask for help, like me this past week, "What do I do w/ a bunch of garlic scapes" which I got lots of wonderful replies. Use like scallions, or chop up in eggs, or use in stir fry.. our farm, once a month supplies their favorite recipes, for the popular items that will be coming from the farm that month.
With my CSA, we have the luxury that they bring the produce to our local farmers market & we just have to pick it up there. They also have pork, beef, chicken, eggs, and honey, that we can purchase from their farm too.
Our farm does not require volunteer hours, or work from us. We are welcome to visit the farm anytime, they also plan a fall hog roast for all CSA members to visit them.
If all else fails & we have a lot of something that we won't/can't use. I give some to the neighbor, or take into work.. people don't refuse fresh produce.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I have never thought of putting zucchini in chocolate cupcakes! Can you share that recipe?
ReplyDeleteSure:
ReplyDelete3/4 lb shredded zuchini
1 box devils food cake mix -we use a GF or natural version.
3 eggs
1/2 cup oil
chocolate chips (enough for your liking, I find it masks, any zucchini chunks he might find, he doesn't know he's eating zucchini then)
Mix all ingredients, then add chocolate chips.
350 degrees 25 min
They are soo good we don't even frost, they come out super moist !
DeleteThanks so much! I am gonna try this, my DH loves chocolate, veggies not so much so this is a great way to sneak them in :)
ReplyDeleteWhere did you find a CSA in the area? I'm totally intrigued but had no idea how to go about finding one...
ReplyDelete