Tuesday, November 5, 2013

A Sign

When I see a penny on the ground, I think of my Grandpa(s)



They both had an eye for finding shiny things. Grandpa R was scolded one time by my Grandma for stopping in the middle of a busy intersection while crossing the road, because there were a couple of pennies on the ground. Grandpa B would always say if you find 25 pennies you get a quarter. Grandpa B always marked projects with a coin from that year. The cement foundations for various projects around his house all have coins imbedded in the cement. Grandpa B would do questions for the kids at family gatherings, and if you go the answer right you got a shiny quarter,this was big money back then, or we picked up apples in his yard for each apple you got a penny, we were cheap labor now that you look back at it. So many kids now dismiss the value of coins, they want the "paper" stuff.

So yesterday coming out of the bullseye store, I spotted a copper penny on the ground circa 1977. Yes being offspring of my grandpa, I stopped in the road  to pick it up. See really it's just a penny, not much you can get with one of them, but a few and you can get maybe a bubble gum or something.

I didn't stop because I needed the penny, I stopped because I see it as a sign that my Grandpa's want me to take a moment. Think about them, say a prayer, take a deep breath. If I had been rushing I probably would have never noticed it. Remember the good times. How many things do we overlook because we are too busy?

The other sign I often see is the number  12 : 23 . Sometimes it's just the 23 by itself.  This sign is from my dad.  Most of the time it's on the clock. For a long time after my dad's departure. I woke up at 12:23 AM .. for no reason.  I see 12 : 23 on receipts, on times for various things. Transaction numbers at work, I see it in addresses. I know my dad is with me when I see 12:23  or 23.   I take the time to slow down when I see his signs.  What kind of signs do you see everyday?

1 comment:

  1. My sign is dragonflies. They were very present to me before I knew I was pregnant with my second child, Nicky, during the pregnancy, after the loss of their little life, and even know the dragonflies presence are like my hugs from heaven from Nicky!!!

    ReplyDelete