I had my consult with the Maternal Fetal specialist, on the 19th.
First she was super nice, I was super aprehensive after meeting her partner in the hospital 49 days before that, I was not a fan of him. Post on the MFM from Andrew's birth.
She unlike him was very thorough. The consult was not done in an exam room, but a room with 2 round table & about 6 chairs. She saw me within about 5 minutes arriving, she asked if I had my placenta report yet. I told her no, that last I knew it was not back & her office told me not to worry about it that they would get it. She said be back in 10 minutes, she was going to find it before we talked. Apparently in this hospitals "paperless" system, the report on paper, was waiting in some scanning area to be made paperless. The report had been back for about 2 weeks, just waiting to be scanned. Ugghh
She discussed their are 4 main causes for early birth. Placenta Abruption, Infection, Incompenent Cervix, and the 4th I didn't catch, cuz it didn't peak awareness. So we crossed out placenta abruption as an option, because we know that didn't happen. So we were down to Infection & Incompetent Cervix. My placenta report showed that it was seriously infected. She discussed how long it had been since my water broke and I delivered. She said that was long enough to get infected, but not as serious as it was. She asked if I had not been feeling well the week before. I told her I was fine. She is leaning on the side that Infection was my main cause for my early birth. (stillbirth). She wrote down the name of the doctor who didn't perfom an ultrasound on me, when I went to the hospital for the first time, when my water broke , but he said it didn't. She said ALWAYS, ALWAYS, if you have doubts demand an ultrasound. I said the guy seemed competent. She said you know your body. I said lesson learned. She said imcompetent cervix, is a slim possibility, but not a likely culprit.
Her plan of action, she wants bacterial cultures run for the region, to be sure I got rid of all infections. She said it is best not to "try to achieve" until we know that all is clear. She said she recommends at least a 3 month wait after a birth or pregnancy, so that your body can replenish it's iron supply. If / when we achieve another pregnancy, more testing and more frequent ultrasounds, early in pregnancy, and regular starting at 12 weeks - 20 weeks. (weekly) to confirm I don't have an incompetent cervix. We talked a bit about a circlage for an incompetent cervix (the treatment for incompetent cervix) I explained that I could not afford to, knowingly, be off work on bed rest for (potentially) 6 months. She said for most people, she recommends 2/3 days off when the circlage is placed on the cervix, becuase you are admitted for surgery, requiring a spinal , time off for rest after it. Then you will be monitored afterwards to see that work is not causing stress on the cervix. She would most likely recommend nothing strenuous. In most cases if you are on "bedrest" it just means not standing & not doing anything around the house.. So I could possibly work on a laptop at home. It would not be destined to lying flat on your back for 24 hours a day. She also recommends checking progesterone levels more frequently & more often than just the first couple of weeks. She saw that mine were checked consistenly the first 2 weeks, but not thereafter. She said she would do it every couple of weeks the next one.
What I find interesting after meeting with her, is she "assumed" I had IVF/or an IUI done, because of how long I had infertility and my age. She was not familiar with NaPro.
I feel optimisic after talking with her, that this was just an unfortunate accident.
I also see a lot of doctor visits with an future pregnancies...
I'm still so sorry for your loss. Though, it sounds like this new doctor was very kind and very helpful. I'm glad she's helped you guys sort through some of this and has a great plan for future pregnancies.
ReplyDeleteI hate it when Dr's assume everyone does IVF or other people for that matter. ugh. Well, sounds like you did get some answers and have a plan for the next pregnancy. It just seems like in the last six months I have heard and read so much about infections in women and how they can cause IF and miscarriage and other pregnancy issues. I believe research is starting to really look at infections more seriously. Even drs who perform IVF are looking into infections. Hmmm...interesting.
ReplyDeleteI am glad your MFS was nicer and more thorough than the one at the hospital! And that bedrest was literally not being confined to a bed. I am sure it was a lot to take in, but with her advocacy for you, I feel so much hope!
ReplyDelete