Friday, November 1, 2013

Our Infertility Story

My husband & I were married 7 years ago, after 5 months being married, we started seeing a OBGYN who was NaPro trained. Our initial concerns were, really long cycles, like 40-50 days, and hey we were newly married, we were engaging in lots of honeymoon action, but yet there were no positive pregnancy tests arriving. She moved out of state after 2 visits with her, which was like 5 months. The only thing we learned from her, was I didn't ovulate on my own & I had PCOS.  So we were befuddled & spent more time trying and being ignorant that there was an infertility issue. After about another year, we started the search again for a new doctor.

We found a pro-life OBGYN, who we are still with, Dr. G! Trusting that highly respected doctor #1 did a lot of blood work ups (her office, wouldn't release any files) we started on Clomid and he gave me a blank paper chart to keep track of my cycles. So after a month, we went back & he was confused and I was confused as to what he wanted on the chart? He 'respects' all forms of NFP, but didn't really specifiy what he wanted on the chart. So the only thing I had done was write in my temps, which was what I was taught in Sympto-thermal classes.  So we schedule an appointment for the next month & he says. I want you to watch & record your cervical mucus. Hmmmm.  Okay! So the next month I come in, with a bunch of scribbles, and much about nothing. I said there really isn't anything. So this goes on for a couple more months, he wants DH to get a SA to determine if there are any underlying issues with him, that we may not know about.  After all that comes back, we're at 8 months into this with him & still not pregnant. By now I have gained a few pounds & he recommends we spend some time getting healthy. So we take about a year off & lose the weight & work on our overall health.

During infertility week in 2010 I discover a great blogger.(TCIE) I start following. I get intrigued by all this NaPro lingo. I start researching Creighton instructors. Nothing close to me! I find someone about 1 1/2 hours away from me, who is in training, in training means, she can only do in person meetings. She feels so bad for telling me that I would have to drive to her every other week for the first chart. We do this, because we know that it's the only way we can get in to see a NaPro doc, who by the way, is 3 1/2 hours away. So we get our 2 cycles of charting in ( which takes 3 1/2 months because of my wonky cycles). We contact the NaPro doctor and find out he is having surgery & will be not available to see patients for 2-3 months. Huge stab to the gut, but we take it in stride & make the appointment in May 2011.  The good thing about this appoinment we had all our labs, done the month before so we had real stuff to talk about!. We get the "plan" given to us. We started using NaPro protocols finally which included meds (Femara, Prometrium) vitamins/OTC (B6, Mucinex, Fish Oil, PreNatals, D3) Diet ( no Dairy, Wheat, Sugar).  We find out 4 months later that we are pregnant! WOW!.

Not included in our "plan" was a missed miscarriage at 14 weeks, we named our son Samuel(Sammy).  The one lesson we learned with Sammy was that I could get pregnant, which I hadn't been able to do for the past 6 years. I went back on the "plan" and conceived about 6 months later. I found out we were having twins, only to find out at our first ultrasound that one passed at 8 weeks. I seemed to be having a normal pregnancy, but after our loss of Sammy, we were extra cautious, and kept our news to primarily ourselves. At 18 weeks we found out we were having a boy (Andrew), we also started birthing classes at this time and told our families. Sadly at 21 weeks, Andrew decided to arrive a wee bit too early. Andrew's Birth story.

After our loss, we were asked to abstain for 6 weeks, we await  test results to come back on Andrew & I, and then meet with our doctor(s) to discuss the new "plan".

No comments:

Post a Comment