We had meetings yesterday at work to find out about our new & improved healthcare plans. Please note the sarcasim !. Nothing about it is improved, while all of it is new.
The 2 negatives hitting us with the healhcare changes.
Obama & the primary shareholder of our company. IEP.
Both I am convinced do not care a single thing about us, nor our families. So according to our new plan, a family in their book is 2-4 people. So if your family is larger than 4 people you have to pay a surcharge, and basically pay for the entire policy for that person. A nice younger gentleman with I believe 3 kids.. raises his hand and asks: So are you saying the company is against "families". The nice catholic director of benefits who is making this presentation, says, my hands are tied! With our new "shareholder" owner/ and congress, it has made it very difficult, that's all he had to say. I heard someone joking today, well I gotta get rid of 2 of my kids, cuz I can't afford to cover them all. Sad! Sad! Sad!
The only good that came out of this meeting for me; feeling not totally screwed. Our executives that make big money, have to pay 100% of their healthcare costs. We now have a sliding scale based on your salary, determining what % of your healthcare premium you pay.
We ALL now have large deductibles to meet before anything is covered at 80%, including prescriptions. Thankfully my husbands $700 a month medication is covered under a " prevenative plan " but my metformin is the only thing covered of what I take daily. So they go thru & estimate out some scenarios to inform you how much you might expect to pay. So for a natural (non surgical) maternity /delivery we are looking at $2700. Not looking forward to all the new expenses with no pay raise.
Anyone else have any woes from the "improvements" to our healthcare system.
This is what I've been saying since Obama ran the first time. We need healthcare reform, but not the kind that he has in mind. I think this is going to make everyone more poor from the huge monthly fees... So poor that we won't be able to afford deductibles and actually getting care. More headaches, less healthcare. So aggravating!
ReplyDeleteHe is going to bankrupt us all. Some people don't realize that when you don't pay medical bills they go on your credit report.
DeleteWell, we'd sure be going bankrupt in that scenario...we have 7 people! goodness. Well, our costs are going up, but not by much. We already had high deductible plans with HSA, so... but they are making it more invasive for people to get the discounts we've been getting. Basically, we have to be at a BMI in the Healthy or Slightly Elevated range in order to qualify for the $75/month discount I had been getting. But that's not all...we also have to earn like 400 wellness points. It's beyond ridiculous.....but not as bad as what it sounds like at your company. Ugh, this health care crap is nuts.
ReplyDeleteYeah.. not looking forward to the first $2500 coming out of our pocket next year & then still having to pay 20% of our costs after that.
ReplyDeleteI think there are going to be more people not going to see the dr's and doing what they should be doing because it's going to cost too much. For ex..my older brother needs to get his ears checked...he won't because the deductible he has to pay now is high. Our deductible went up and we are paying more for b/w, etc. We are paying more for everything.
ReplyDeleteI'll add that at a recent training a nurse told us that our families are going to learn fast that they are not going to be able to get the meds they used to get for free...they'll have to take another med which is cheap...and not as good. I work in the state e.i. program and most of my families won't be able to afford or have the meds their children need....it's sad. I pay for my thyroid meds out of pocket so the gov won't be changing what I take...unless, the meds I take get to expensive I can't afford it anymore. What is going on is making me very uneasy.
Delete