So the church we have been attending is closing in January, dang priest shortage. We have always gone to smaller-ish parishes, not the giant mega-parishes the archdiocese prefers. So we have started to shop what's in the area. I went to the parish that our diocese thinks is a fit for us.. (their idea of merging is to merge parishes that "blend" well ).
First impression, I thought I had entered a bar when I walked into this place. It was soo loud! Then I thought, maybe I arrived at the wrong time, but then again, why would it be so loud in church. From what I gather, they encourage people to talk it up before mass, instead of spending time in quiet prayer before mass starts. (?#$!%?? ) Really loud, like I thought I walked into a bar. Then it was BANG, baptism mass. ( not mentioned anywhere ). Me personally I would have chosen another mass. Cuz of happenings lately, not really what I wanted to see at mass.
Another negative for me, the number of people who show up to mass like they just went for a run, or were on their way to the zoo. People dressed in jeans, sweats, hoodies. All well to-do people. One of the godparents of the children being baptized was wearing jeans. Not cool in my book. Then the number of people who came in late.. Like after the homily late. The number of people who left church when the clock ticked 1 hour. ( mass was about an hour & 15 minutes because of the baptism). I realize these aren't things the "parish" can control, but sometimes messages from the pulpit are necessary, which apparently doesn't occur here.
We will try another mass time ( this place has 7 masses a weekend ) The various masses I've been told, draw different crowds.
Oh, that sounds...interesting?! Hopefully another mass will be more to your liking. I have visited our "cluster parish" when we were late for our regular mass, and found that it just doesn't suit us at all. I would travel to an ethnic parish nearby for a more traditional and quiet atmosphere over our "cluster parish."
ReplyDeleteHope you find somewhere you can call home!
ReplyDeleteThis parish sounds like some of the parishes in my archdiocese, where Mass is more of a social scene rather than Mass. I would probably find it very annoying. I hope you find a place that's more suitable. It is so sad when the diocese closes parishes.
ReplyDeleteI love quiet time before mass to reflect and prepare. Other denominations do that sort of thing. Our priests do say things to people who do not dress appropriately for mass. I remember one priest saying "This is not the beach." The dude was in surfing shorts and flip flops. I think it's disrespectful. My dh and I just try to show my example how to dress. Good luck in finding a parish or a mass time that matches you own needs.
ReplyDeleteI hope a different Mass works better for you! I don't mind if people stand outside in a gathering space and chat, but I've been to a few like that where they do it in the main part of church, and I absolutely hate it. It doesn't keep the church sacred and set apart the way that it should be.
ReplyDeleteI found out today, that the " transition" commitee mentioned this kinda of behavior at their parish council meeting w/ this church & they said they need to figure out how to address it.
ReplyDelete