My husband went to the dermatologist for some red spots he hasn't been able to get rid of, for most of the winter. He assumed it was from the salt/chemicals he uses.
He finally got sick of me nagging and went to the doctor.
Well the doctor gave him a prescription for a cream, and in my husbands words " gave me pile of papers you're gonna have to read ".
Diet modifications. They advised him it's not going to get better unless he eliminates a bunch of things in his diet. ( wouldn't listen to his wife ) who told him he shouldn't have some of these things. So he has to elminate dairy, condiments; mustard, ketchup, mayo, etc. Soy Sauce, Coffee, chocolate, iodized salt. He wouldn't answer me on Soda Pop. Edit: also no nuts, peanut butter, soda, smoked meat, & pickles. I found out when I got home that his face cream he needs is $400 for a months supply. Thanks to 0-care.
I hope with him having to make these modifcations, it will jump start him to eating better. He's not going to like it at first, but once we find some things he does like it will be better.
The last time he was in for a physical, the doctor let him slide, cuz I was pregnant & he said he was emotionally eating & said, well once you have the baby, you'll lose the weight. Well since their is no baby in our forefront. Now is a good time to start the losing.
For me, I could spare to still lose about 15-20 lbs. So I am starting the Light Weigh program next week, with some ladies from my "closed" parish. I have some reservations, since a few of the ladies are the "super fertile" type, but I will put that aside to learn something new. This is the first time they are doing a meeting at night. This group has done a bunch of the small group studies, but always during the day, so since I work, I've never been able to participate.
To help me along, I just bought a new Paleo cook/book a couple of weeks ago, that I've made a couple of recipes from. Now that our taxes are done, I've had more time to "read" at night instead of watching TV.
Any suggestions how to get an unmotivated husband to do some exercise?
My only advice is to start very moderately and work into it. I know I always failed at working out for years because I would think that I needed to do it 3-5 times a week at least, and it was too overwhelming. Obviously, that should be a goal, but I wish I would have tried for 1-2 times per week to start. Once it's part of the routine, it's easier to add more in.
ReplyDeleteI had a feeling that my dh was allergic to wheat before we was tested and I was so relieved to have been proven right! He doesn't always avoid it, but he knows that he feels better when he doesn't eat it.
ReplyDeleteAs for exercising, I wish I had some better advice. I love to exercise and I tried to get him to run with me last year, but I think it was too intimidating because I'm in much better shape than he is. Something he did enjoy was working out with the Wii Fit. We started it together, and it was a fun activity we could do as a couple. I don't normally recommend video games, but I often use Just Dance with my class and they love it too. Just a thought!
Paleo stuff is awesome! I use a lot of it for the Trim Healthy Mama diet that I'm doing, and honestly, my guys rarely notice when I do grain substitutions and other healthy sneakiness!
ReplyDeleteMy husband has started taking deer antler supplement - it helps reduce the recovery time after working out, so he's been more motivated to go to the gym because he knows he won't feel worn out and sore all day afterwards.
How awesome. Eating clean has been huge in helping me lose weight. It also has cleared up my skin, my eczema isn't flaring and my energy is through the roof.
ReplyDeleteMatt is a mechanic so he is active during the day plus when farming season hits, hay baling etc he gets his work out in. I have started him on my advocare vitamins with me and he says he feels better. He has more energy and isn't as tired through out the day.
Hopefully the diet changes give your husband some results and that motivates him as well.