Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Sewing/Knitting Ministry




I read an article on FB about a Ministry that ladies are taking old wedding dresses and turning them into clothes for little ones in the hospital. The ladies made them with old wedding dresses, because most times, the little ones had already passed/or close to death & would be prepared for baptism in a white gown.

I can say, I've been touched by a similar ministry. When our son Andrew was born at 21 weeks, I was not prepared. I did not even have a hospital bag packed, nor was I prepared at the time to have clothes for our child who was so small, too small for even preemie clothes. Andrew was 11.9 " and weighed right around 1 pound.

He was wrapped in a blanket when he was first delivered, after that our caring nurse Anne, brought him back to us, dressed in a  gown that was sewn by ladies from a local church, and a hand knit hat that fit his head so perfectly.

The gown (pictured below) was white with blue stripes. They were lovingly made by the ladies, for little ones like our Andrew, so that he was treated with dignity, and didn't have to leave wrapped only in a blanket. His little knit hat was mint green, with a pom-pom on top, which fit his head about the size of a kiwi. His outfit was designed so that it was easy for them to slip his body into, so it was like a newborn onesie-gown.





Not everyone is called to this ministry of sewing outfits for little saints, or knitting hats, but you could always make a donation to groups that do, to defray costs of materials. I'm sure they would greatly appreciate the generosity. Moms like me, say thank you to these ladies, for so sewing & praying for the little ones.

3 comments:

  1. That is so touching for I'm sure other moms in your similar situation are not prepared. These babies need to be treated with dignity..what a blessing there are groups out there to make sure that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful and important ministries! I don't think many people imagine babies needing clothes so small, but there is certainly a need! I am glad Andrew had an outfit and hat that fit him. I am not a knitter (tried it and failed horribly) but I'll be checking with some of my nurse friends to see if our local hospitals have any programs similar to these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with The Bird -- what a beautiful ministry!! They are there for families at the toughest of times. Such a small but incredibly thoughtful gesture. I'm glad they were there for you when Andrew was born. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete