Thursday, January 15, 2015

Good. Bad. Ugly of Makena

The Good / Bad & Ugly of Makena.

Good
I've made it to 36 weeks 5 days. ( and counting )

so/so-
I have been on this journey for 9+ years.  I know some have journeyed longer, for others their journey not as long.. Nothing has been easy this pregnacy. I've had over 24 ultrasounds. The # of doctor appointments is much greater than that, with all the fun stuff that goes along with those appointments. I have maintained a strict diet. I've not got to enjoy the normal, pregnancy mom, food cravings. I realize some get pregancy easier, and some get picked for the tough road. I guess that means, I'm tough enough to handle what has been handed to me.

Bad
While on Makena I immediately had diarrhea, that never went away. Which caused me to get horrible hemorroids ( the kind that will probably have to be surgically removed ). This is when I stopped gaining weight , and started losing weight.  Not a good thing, but not a bad thing, but caused more appointments to watch me closer. I started having injection site pain, that got worse each week, ending with golf ball size welts at the injection site.  There was a lot of crying while on Makena!!

Ugly.
I was a mean, nasty, difficult person to be around when I was on Makena. Thankfully I got a nurse who listened & got me back on a compounded med soon. To be dead honest; my husband & I only communicated via a notebook for the last week I was on that wretched medication. I was so hurtful to him. I even wrote one day, that I just wanted to get the baby out & part our ways. In my Makena fog, I thought he wasn't being supportive. Honestly he didn't know what to do for me. I was just a mess. He never knew what to expect when I would come home from work. I was pretty mean at work, but hey, they have to work with me. I had tried to talk to the MFM nurse & tell her something wasn't right, but she gave me this song & dance, that some people aren't just cut out to be pregnant and be mothers.  ( Whoa ) I pondered on that for a while & then started looking up the Makena side effects, because my foul mood, all traced back to when I started on the Makena. 

The short version of the story, I took compounded progesterone for 2 months & then the pharmacy, said they weren't allowed to fill it anymore & that I would be switched to Makena; they assured it was the same thing & I wouldn't notice a difference.  Boy were they dead wrong!  so I took it for 3 weeks, the last dose I had, caused me soo much pain, on top of the mood stuff. I had golf ball sized welts at the injection site.  I finally called the nurse at my OB & said.. what can we do to get the kid out NOW. I don't want to be pregnant anymore, I cried. she was the person who finally listened & got me hooked up with another pharmacy and got me back on a different formulation of a compounded progesterone for the last 5 weeks of injections.

So once the progesterone is out of my system, who knows how long before peanut will make his arrival. My cervix has been noted as soft. So perfect for an easy labor.. so says the man doctor.





2 comments:

  1. Wow. What terrible side effects. I am so glad you're at 36+ weeks! SO exciting. I am glad you finally got someone to listen to you.

    ReplyDelete