Monday, January 26, 2015

Your help..with music

Not the kind of "new mom" post that most would be asking for help with.

I am looking for suggestions  for the music for our son's funeral mass.  I do not have a music bone in my body..

We are meeting with our funeral director on Tuesday, and then will meet with the church in the following days.

We will have his mass on Saturday, January 31 at 10am. fittingly at Our Lady of Sorrows Church.

What has me torn, is our small little parish was closed last year..  the priest I love is at a historic church downtown.. which is just way to far to have his funeral at.  ( we had intended on baptising him at the historic church ) but being it's going to be a high of 15 on Saturday & snow looming, it's just not going to be a possibility.. So we are doing it at the local, church, which is huge.  There is a priest there who did Andrew's service last year; who is newly ordained & very caring and nice. Not that the others aren't,  he just has a certain charism about him.  I keep membership at both churches, well just because & instances like this. .

I've planned way to many "funerals" in my lifetime already; 

Last funeral, my grandmothers, was standard, On Eagles Wings, Song of St. Francis. etc.

I'm not opposed to them, I just would love some suggestions from you lovely ladies.

+Peace.

18 comments:

  1. I love the hymm The King of Love My Shepherd Is.

    So sorry you need to do this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I didn't too, but It's all a part of the healing..

      Delete
  2. My heart is still breaking for you, K. So many prayers. A very good friend of mine lost her infant daughter and at her funeral they closed with "O God Beyond All Praising," which she told me after was because of her prayer that they would somehow "triumph" through their "sorrows" and rise to "bless you still," as the lyrics say. I cry and pray for them every time I hear the hymn.

    O God beyond all praising,
    we worship you today
    and sing the love amazing
    that songs cannot repay;
    for we can only wonder
    at every gift you send,
    at blessings without number
    and mercies without end:
    we lift our hearts before you
    and wait upon your word,
    we honor and adore you,
    our great and mighty Lord.

    Then hear, O gracious Savior,
    accept the love we bring,
    that we who know your favor
    may serve you as our king;
    and whether our tomorrows
    be filled with good or ill,
    we'II triumph through our sorrows
    and rise to bless you still:
    to marvel at your beauty
    and glory in your ways,
    and make a joyful duty
    our sacrifice of praise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waiting to see if they will play it for us.. I'll let you all know.

      Delete
  3. I second JBTC's suggestion...one of my favourites and very beautiful.

    I sang this song with my choir for the funeral of a dear friend's baby who passed shortly after birth. I still tear up when I hear it, remembering; which is perhaps not a strong recommendation but I still think it is a sweet and fitting hymn for such an occasion. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBYEQvVRRKQ "Guardian Angel from Heaven so Bright"
    Also a setting of Soul of My Savior for Communion. An Ave Maria is always appropriate, or a Salve Regina.
    I hope you're able to find some special songs that make the funeral more meaningful for you. They're out there...you don't have to use everyone else's go-to standards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just got chills at KC's suggestion! I have always wanted "O God Beyond All Praising" at my own funeral mass, and we chose it for my newly converted mother-in-law's funeral mass in December. But here is the middle verse which was missing above, which I think is so transcendent for a soul that has gone to God:

    The flower of earthly splendor in time must surely die,
    its fragile bloom surrender to you, the Lord most high;
    but hidden from all nature the eternal seed is sown—
    though small in mortal stature,
    to heaven’s garden grown:
    for Christ, your gift from heaven,
    from death has set us free,
    and we through him are given the final victory.

    My prayers for you in this time of deep sorrow and even confusion. God is with you. Thank you for your witness in the crucible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the great suggestion.. I was disheartened when I visited the parish today.. they literally had a checklist with 4-5 songs that I could select from for the opening, offertory, closing.. So I was a trouble maker & asked for songs "not" listed. The priest doing the mass, didn't disagree with me, he said most of their suggestions were for people not familiar with the mass, and for "older" persons funerals. So I wait & see if my suggestions can be fulfilled.

      Delete
    2. Yes, we encountered the same thing... a standard set of songs. But they, like your priest, told us that it was to make things easier for people who didn't know the mass, etc. But they said that as long as the organist and soloist knew the songs we selected (they did), we could choose from off the list.

      My prayers and thoughts continue to be with you and your husband!

      Delete
  5. I recommend "In the Arms of God" by Tony Alonso through GIA publications. You can google it, or listen to it through GIA's website or YouTube. Praying for you during this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For my daughter's funeral we had "Everlasting" and "Healer" (both Hillsong), I Will Rise (Chris Tomlin), Lord I Need You (Matt Maher), and How Can I Keep From Singing (Ike Ndolo)...
    It was all difficult, but in all honesty I loved my daughter's funeral. That sounds weird I know, but it wasn't the hard part for me. It was a celebration...to celebrate her dignity and celebrate her perfect life on Earth. I will be praying for you...I know how surreal it all feels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing weird here, about liking how the funeral went. Tears will be shed, but I aim to honor our son, they way he should.

      Delete
  7. I'm sorry that I have no idea. The only song I can think of is pretty standard. Here I am Lord. It always makes my soul soar but again it's not particularly interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am just reading this I am so so sorry that this, that you are planning yours sons funeral. My heart breaks for you. But I love Madeline's suggestion. That is one of my favorite songs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry that you are having to plan your son's funeral. For our daughter''s funeral we are having "You are Mine" and "Jesus Hope of the World" Both seemed a little more focused on her as our baby, and they were hymns we sung to her when we were pregnant with her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will be keeping you and Mike close in prayer tomorrow. I know you have planned a beautiful funeral. <3

    ReplyDelete