Thursday, February 26, 2015

Shadow boxes for my boys

So yesterday I talked about the craft projects I was going to start. Well the inspiration hit last night.
 
 
 
Andrew's




David's 

 
Both shadow boxes are both unique, because I have some similar, but some quite different momentos from both.
 
I picked out a long narrow shadow box for Andrew,  because I knew I had the gown he wore. I have the gown, because the funeral home, chose to take it off him before he was cremated. ( I appreciate they did it ). I do have a picture of him, but because he was so young, I chose not to put it in the shadow box; I guess because we haven't shared with many, and not the visual I want them to see. That's why the pictures of his hands will suffice for me. What's hard to see in the box. The tag from his bassinet, with his name, weight, height. His footprints. There is a white carnation in there, which were given out to everyone at the gravesite. The hat that adorned his head. There is also a bookmark in there, very hard to see in the picture; it says My Peace I give you. ( box size 10x20 )  His name are scrapbooking stickers, on some scrapbook paper.

There will probably be some changes to David's box before I put it up, I'm not happy with the size of the box I chose. I figured since I didn't have his outfit, I would go with a smaller box. Now I need to rethink that. It appears very crammed and muddled in it.
 
For David's box I have a picture of him, footprints, cross, various flowers from arrangements, his armband, hat ( it was the hospital hat that was too little for his big head ), I have a couple other things I couldn't fit in, like the shell we used for the holy water to baptize him. We don't have any of the clothes he wore, because they were not in condition to be saved. When I get the bigger box, I want to print a poem, and put his holy card in it. I also want to be able to put his name in it.. So a bigger box will be required. ( the current box is 8 x 10)

Nice thing about shadow boxes, is it's not cement. ?? Playing with this for the moment 


 
 

11 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful craft idea. I absolutely love Andrew's shadow box - it looks professionally done to me! And that you have just those tiny little hands actually really adds such sweetness, I think.

    I agree on David's shadow box that it seems like you have a lot more to showcase there and the pieces are a little larger in size, so a bigger box might help you do that. Still, it's beautifully done. Both are beautiful tributes. Well done, mama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I really like how Andrews came out. Now to put a little more into David's..

      Delete
  2. Such love going into these boxes. That's all I see, lots of love. Beautiful tributes to your boys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admire how your love is transparent in these shadow boxes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, It was hard not to put hearts all over them.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie..Now just to find the perfect place to hang them.

      Delete