I tried to contact the new FCP in our diocese.
I thought it was a prerequisite that you all were nice, kind, and sweet.
Apparently this one is not.
I get a fair amount of people inquiring about NFP locally & would love to have a kind local person to direct them to. This new person, will definitely not be it.
That was my biggest struggle getting into Cr.eighton, was making the 1 1/2 hour commute and commitment to go for instruction. To most people who maybe on the fence, that is a turn off. I do have a sweet FCP, but the center she was affiliated with closed & with her own family & fertility issues, is not in the position to open a center, so is on sabbatical.
So I contacted the new person in my diocese, to see if could get a blank chart from her, she informed me that I would have to come to an intro session, and "learn" how to before I could just "chart". Tried to explain, I know how to chart, I just need a chart, she in turn, is going to tell me what I do & don't know.
What I do know, is she won't "sell" me a chart, unless I learn to chart, her way. ( didn't know she had her own Cr.eighton charting method ). Sorry I wont' be sending any referrals your way!
I figured since I've been MIA in the charting, I figured I would do it legitimately for the next cycle, on the legal chart and all that, instead of my hokey-method. I guess I'll keep with what I've been doing..

So sorry you had that experience :( I have met some practitioners who are not very nice too. Does your old FCP have any charts she could mail to you? If not I would be happy to mail you a chart, just email me your address. The hard thing with CrMS is that everything has to be accounted for and you cant get materials unless you are affiliated with FCCA or an intern. Also, most practitioners do local and long distance instruction in case you or anyone you refer needs a practitioner.
ReplyDeleteThanks Kat ! You are the total opposite of my FCP experience!
DeleteI do agree...FCP's need to be nice and encouraging and if someone says they know how to chart and just need a new one...you give it to them! Why some people make everything a process is beyond me. Humph.
ReplyDeleteFrustrating I say !
DeleteCan you order a chart online? That is how I have gotten my last few new ones! You have to be a client to get them from my local NFP's website....but maybe your local chapter (or whatever it would be called...) has a website as well? Worth a try! Sorry you had to deal with that mean person :(
ReplyDeleteThe person I contacted & had the bad experience with is starting a chapter for the first time in our diocese, matter of fact doing her first intro session tonight.. So I assume she is green in the gills. Claims to be a full flegged FCP, not a FCPI.
DeleteSometimes I think the danger in Creighton is the tendency for FCPs to treat it more like a business than as a ministry. It should be a ministry first and a way to make money second, as idealistic as it sounds. Unfortunately, the economics of how much it costs to be a teacher I think sway people's attitude and shift their focus. I hope you're able to find someone else out there who can help you and you can recommend people to!
ReplyDeleteExactly, since she is being funded/backed by the diocese, in my eyes she should act more like a ministry. I always supported my FCP generously, when I looked into how much it cost to become one.
DeleteI'm so sorry she treated you this way. That's really unfortunate, as she should be most positive to continue attracting couples to Creighton.
ReplyDeleteI don't have a paper chart I can send you, but I created a chart template using excel that's easy to fill in and easy to print. Would you like me to send you a copy?
Thanks Stephanie, I've been cheating this way for a while. Certain docs are sticklers to the charts being on the "proper" chart.
Delete