Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Dr. Office Rant



I'll start with a nice picture of some beautiful flowers, before I vent.

On 3-18 I sent my Dr. office a fax requesting a refill of my progesterone. They called me back on 3-25 saying they got my fax yesterday. My reasoning for sending a fax, was I didn't have to leave it on a voicemail, and rely on some old nurse to write all the specifics down. 

The supposed refill did not make it to my prescription provider until 3/28. It just shipped today ( 4/2 )

I realize having to use an online prescription company is my issue, but their SLOW, reaction time is killing me, so on the 3-28 when I realized I was not going to have my progesterone in time to take it for that cycle, I called the nurses to request the refill on my Femara, cuz now, I'm going to have to use another cycle & will need that now too.  she called me back after hours & told me that she couldn't refill my prescription until I had an HCG test. I said why do I need that? she said, because!  if not no prescription.  & since it was after hours she wouldn't fax a lab slip to my lab & wanted me to call back, another day to request it, since she was going on vacation, but she would leave my chart out for when i called back? Hmmm paperless system is really working for them.

So I call back & they are closed ? I seriously need their work hours. So the weekend goes by & I call Monday morning & ask the new nurse why I need an HCG test, she said, so we can make sure you aren't pregnant, I told her I chart, I know I'm not pregnant. She said, that's only a piece of paper. So knowing I won't ovulate w/out the Femara, I reluctantly go to the lab to have my blood drawn. It's killing me to pay $95 to prove to some dumb nurse that I'm not pregnant.

So  I wait 2 days, because they don't do anything quick, still no call today, so I called there. Of course no one answered. The nurse called & the phone was in my purse, while our contractor was measuring. So of course in true fashion, she says, call back, no other info, just call back,  ( no extension, no nothing ) and oh, we're only open today til 4:30 & it's 4:25 now. So I call back immediately & her extension is busy, so I dial the receptionist, who says, well  I can put you thru to her line. I said I'll wait, til she's off the phone. she said well I..... I said firmly I'll wait.

So the nurse gets on & congratulates me that I'm not pregnant & I can get the Femara refilled. ( WTH ) are you serious you crazy!!.  I tell her, really, that surprised me, cuz I told you the other day I wasn't. & that I chart I know for a certainty that I wasn't pregnant. She states, well we have to be sure. I said. I chart, I know for sure that I wasn't so you made me waste $95 for nothing. I said can you just get the prescription going. ( Mind you I initiated the whole phone call - so who knows how long they would have waited to call me back ) She's like where do you want it to go? Really I gave you all this already. She's like well I didn't know if you want to send to a local pharmacy, I said I can't! So can you please move this along, so then she starts questioning, etc, etc. 

Without reaching thru the phone & strangling her. I said, can you please do what I asked you to do a week, ago, the longer you wait, another cycle I am going to have to wait, because of your slow work. she's like we did everything as soon as we got it. I told her, please don't get me started. Then she tries to say, well this is the doctors orders, I say, well this is not what he & I discussed when I was in there last. I said again, can you just make sure the prescription is faxed in, today. She's like well I don't think you are going to get it on time. I said really, so what day of my cycle am I on? how do you know when I need it. She proceeds to tell me she doesn't know how to chart & doesn't understand it( well maybe you shouldn't be working for a doctor who doesn't prescibe BC & solely relies on NFP  )

Some ladies in the FB group have ranted about the mismanagement of na.pro offices. I don't think it's limited to those practices alone. I think it is a bigger problem in a lot of offices, that don't rely on BCP to fund their office. Last year, I wrote a letter to the practice manager, who never replied to me, not that I excpected her to. Every time I see my doc, I tell him ( beg) him to go off on his own. he would do much better on his own. If it weren't a big thing to me to have a doctor who is pro-life I would look elsewhere & closer to home.

Okey dokey, enough for tonight.. thanks for reading my rant tonight.

10 comments:

  1. I honestly don't know how you put up with this. I couldn't. I really couldn't.
    Prayers for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca, I put up with it, because the doctor is great & he's pro-life which is super important to us. With our miscarriage & then stillbirth, his compassionate side comes out. He practices in 2 offices, 1 large office ( horrible staff, where the nurses are & do refills ) and then a small office, where he is only 1 day a week. The small office is the ideal pro-life office, but it does not draw the money to have him work here everyday. ( the sad part ) The nurses, when they don't want to do their job, have told me why don't you just go to a Repro Endo, cuz he's not one of them, on another occasion, one said were not fertility specialists. One has since been let go & the other doesn't call me back. My lists of intentions is always for him to find a nice pro-life partner to go into practice with.

      Delete
  2. I get so upset when things like this happen. It happened with my thyroid meds...I needed a refill...and my dr went on vacation....so nothing happened. I missed about three or four days of my meds because no one at my dr's office could make the call to have my script filled. so frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very frustrating. Was even worse when I called the pharmacy & they asked if I was out?

      Delete
  3. I am new to your blog but can totally relate to this post--don't they understand that our hopes and dreams are directly effected by the work they do (or don't do)?! Hard not to be frustrated. Can you imagine going through this process without faith?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome MamaHoli ! ! Yes. the office staff just does not have the same passion & drive as the Dr. does.

      Delete