Sunday, June 1, 2014

Planters for (sm)all spaces

 I realize not everyone has room for large containers, or wants large containers.
So here are some planters that are designed for smaller spaces.
 
This one the pot is about 10" high..  and 6X6" and somewhat of a contemporary design. It's metal too. I wish I would have got a couple more when I purchased it originally.
It's got one fountain grass in it. & 3 rainbow coleus in it.
I keep it on my front porch  or if we are having people over on the deck, I'll move it out there. This is so small& versatile I can move it effortlessly.  As with the other big potters. 1/2 of it is filled with packing peanuts for drainage & the rest with the magic soil, that helps if I don't water it everyday.
 

This is what it starts out looking like before plants go in.
 
Now for those who might have a balcony / deck as their only source of plant area.
 
We start out with these. They fit on 2 different size deck/balcony railings.
Packing peanuts in the bottom and magic soil on top of it.


 
First one is for someone wanting color. We have Blue Lobelia , Pink moss roses.  Purple Potato vine, corkscrew rush twister( Juncus effusus) , some green sweet potato vine, and Gloria (euphorbia) -the plant with the small tiny white flowers and some more pink moss roses.  Water it & it's good to go on the deck.

want an herb garden, but don't have the space.   So this is a mix of herbs & salsa garden.
 
We have Thyme, rosemary, cilantro, cilantro, Roma tomato plant, and basil. Want to keep it all herbs.. ditch the tomato.. & spread out the basil a little more.. I picked that pot, cuz it had like 7 basil shoots in it.
 
 
 
Voila, what it looks like on the deck.


2 of Them on the deck rails.. notice where it's sitting, it can go to a smaller rail also.

I keep certain plants facing inwards ( inside of the deck) like the potato vine, because the deer love to eat them & it's perfect height for munching.. and so far, they've never made it up onto the deck.



3 comments: