I think it is very cool to be able to plant from seeds, but I just don't have the time for that, so when I'm at the plant nursery buying flowers for the business, I pick up a flat of "veggies" and they sit, and sit, until a weekend like this past one comes & I finally have time to prepare the garden and plant. Also in my colder climate, you have to be on the ball, to plant from from seeds and actually produce something from it. A lot of people who do grow their own seeds here, start them indoors. This girl ain't got time for that.
I hadn't been out to that corner of the yard in a few weeks. It looked like a jungle. We have this stuff that is from the bamboo family that grows out of control!! It was about 10 feet high today. When 3 weeks ago, this stuff was only a foot tall. So I had to get that cut back, and dig it out. ( the pile that I cut out of the garden ( below).
Then I cut back the "chocolate mint" I thought would be cool to plant a couple of years ago( stay away from mint ) it overruns anything very quickly. I then cut back the ornamental grass that is out of control too. (this part of the yard gets neglected).
Hubs started the rototiller for me & I went to town, mixing it all up. I don't worry about weeding it too well before rototilling, because green stuff is good for soil composition, and I'll be careful to watch out for anything unwanted in the next week that may resurface & knock it out then.
So planted in my 10x10 plot. 1 - san marzano tomato plant ( I bought it about 1 1/2' tall.)
2 - Roma Tomatoes ( about 9" tall when purchased ) 3 Cilantro plants ( salsa anyone)
2 - pots of italian basil, which turned out to be about 8 plants ( hmm pesto )
4 cell pack of red bell peppers , 1- lemon thyme 1- rosemary plant.
My yard is frequented by deer, bunnies, groundhogs, squirrels, and ?? lots of wildlife. I put a 2 ' metal fence around the garden, to deter any of the little guys.I have metal stakes in 4 corners, and I also put fruit tree netting on top of my plot, I can easily slide it on using the metal corner stakes. This helps deter the tall guys that might be able to lean over the 2' fence. My plot is on the west side of our property & receives full morning sun, I usally water in the evening, when it's cooler. ( not everyday) but usually every 3rd- or 4th day.
If the bunnies are really bothering, & trying to dig under the fence, I may put hair out ( they think a human is around then) or the other trick is "mens" urine. ( helps deter deer too ). I don't spend money on any fancy tonics, or $25 a bottle spray tricks. If they eat my tomato plant, It'll cost me $2 to go replace it. Once or 2twice a year, I may splurge and treat the plants to some organic fertilizer, it's made from beet juice.



Seriously, mint needs to calm down! Mine is completely out of control too.
ReplyDeleteI only bought it, cuz I thought "chocolate" mint sounded different. Big Mistake!!
DeleteI started putting my mint in containers and that helped save the garden. You still have to watch for straggling vines trying to find the ground, but it's much easier to manage a container on a plant stand (I usually just use an upside down pot) than it is to pull it out of everywhere it has invaded. Unless you need the cardio and you're craving mojitos... then it could be a good block party! True story: I once catered a wedding and a woman ripped out all of her mint that had spread everywhere so we could use it to garnish the dessert! Good luck with the garden this year :)
ReplyDelete