Sunday, April 27, 2014

Feeling defeated with kitchen remodel

So I had a contractor out to give me a quote on moving the cabinet over our refrigerator. Here is what so frustrating. The existing opening is 68 1/4" high. Which makes us have to order a custom smaller refrigerator ( the goal is to get a new refrigerator) .  New refrigerators are 70" high. 

The contractor called and said he doesn't feel comfortable moving the exsisting cabinet to gain 2 more inches. Ugggh!!

Small refrigerator is more expensive than being able to purchase a standard size one. 

I feel like it is another huge letdown. 

4 comments:

  1. As a Kitchen Designer (who's dealt with these problems before) ... I'm trying to come up with an idea for you ...
    1) Are all your Cabinets the same height? i.e. is the one above the Refrig the same height as the one above the stove? Can you raise up the Cabinet + Panel leg above the Refrigerator to the height you need for the Refrig. Opening, block in below the Panel Leg and then cover the "panel leg material change" at the bottom with a piece of Baseboard (at least that would gain you height).
    2) Cut off the Panel Leg and Raise the Cabinet to where you need it. You can always go a little wider with the new Refrig also and then decorate above the Cabinetry so the change in height would be less noticeable. I'm sure it is nice to have the Panel Leg so things don't fall behind the Refrig, so that would be the tradeoff.
    If I think of something else, I'll let you know ... this is a tough situation!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for all the ideas.. we are calling another contractor, who's been a little bit more flexible with older house issues.

      Delete
  2. I hope A.'s suggestions are helpful for you! I admit, my thoughts are more along the lines of, "Dang. Glad I rent." Sorry I'm no help, but I hope you find some solutions!

    ReplyDelete