Visit Stephanie at Blessed to Be for more Happies this week.
1. All my family coming together this weekend to help prepare for winter at my grandma's house. My husband & I live close ( less than a mile ) so we take care of all the regular duties. Cutting the lawn ( I have been doing for 15 years -since my grandpa was diagnosed with Alzheimers), changing light bulbs, raking leaves, any other "honey" do's grandma comes up with. In the fall it gets to be a lot, so I haven't asked in a few years, but since it was going to be a nice day & grandma wanted to make "apple fritters" for everyone I set up a work party & everyone came over & we got all her perennials cut back, lawn furniture put away, some lightbulbs changed, computer fixed, and all things winterized. Lots of hands make light work. My nephews even helped out, we had a wagon & a bucket they would take to the road to dump. Grandma's small community has curbside pickup of leaves & compost, no bagging needed.. Makes all the work easier.
2. Apple Fritter day.. While we were working, grandma was busy peeling & slicing apples. Her fritters, are non-traditional. She peels & cores the apples, then slices them in rounds -so you see the hole, then dips them in her batter ( flour, sugar, egg, milk ) then deep fries them in lard ( yes lard ).
Then when they come out are dusted with powedered sugar. Delicious ( I had to have 2 ) even though they are not good on my diet.. who can resist!
When most people hear fritters they think of donuts.. these are much better, cuz you are getting a lot less dough & more apple. -- Grandma's preferred apple to use : Northern Spy. She won't bake with anything else.
Don't forget to visit Stephanie & the other for more HAPPIES.

No comments:
Post a Comment