Saturday, October 25, 2014

Salmon & foil bags

So Mary Beth asked how I make the foil bags to cook the salmon that I mentioned in a foodie post recently 

Lucky just had to buy more salmon, so I have a few pictures of how I do it. I am partial to cooking things that have little to no prep smell ( salmon fits that bill). Again you could buy a big Salmon & make your own sauce, but lately I'm going for EASY!!


I normally look for a package around 2 lbs. today only 3 lbs were left. The basil pesto butter is not overpowering. 

So the size pieces that the store packages are way more than a serving should be. Keep in mind that a piece of meat should be about the size of your palm. 

Today's  pick was so big , that each of their pieces I cut into 3 smaller palm size pieces. 

I tear off the foil in about 14-16" piece.


I work with one piece of ther salmon at a time & also divide up the pesto butter they put on top of one piece into equal portions for what I've cut up.
Now to folding this up. 

Make a tent & then fold down til loosely above the fish.  Then fold in the sides. 

Here's my batch from today. 

When I put in the freezer ( if I'm not cooking in the next 48 hours. ) I put them in a ziplock & make sure to mark the package with the date, temp to cook at, and with meat I put the internal temp to check for. 

So when it comes to cooking from frozen, they may take a little longer than normal. As soon as I start the oven preheating, I pop it in the oven. When it reaches the cook temp I set the timer. To what the package says. These come pretty close to package time.  I leave the foil packet closed so it steams for 2/3 of the cooking time & then open up the foil pack to get some brown on the fish. 

Cooking on the foil, makes for easy clean up too!! Easy peasy!!

Any questions ?? Leave me message in the com box. 




1 comment: