Wednesday, October 22, 2014

To Flu Shot or Not?



So when I was pregnant with Andrew, first chance at the flu shot I was hook line & sinkered into it, didn't really question it, I just did what the good dr. recommended.   Then he passed a short week later.   ? Not sure if they were related. I won't ever know. But hubs & I & Dr. said everything this time around will be different.. Well I'm taking that literally.  Nothing about this pregnancy has been normal.

So when I was in for my physical with my family practice dr. a month ago, I brought it up to her, she's very logical to talk to.  She said there is no evidence supporting it & no concrete evidence refuting it. She said check out your options & make your decision from there.

So when my OB brought it up last week, I said I wasn't going to get it. He asked me to -research my options & make an educated guess at our next appt ( Halloween ). I said I would look into it.  Now mind you. The only place he told me to look was CDC.gov ..."Pro Vaccine" .

I brought it up in our hypnobirthing class this week & the instructor, generously offered some resources to make educated decisions.

One thing to consider, is if you aren't pregnant but "hope, expect, think, inkling that you might, you will want to research the "pregnant" side of the flu shot.

PRO Vaccine
   http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/pregnant.htm

CON's for the Vaccine.



 

 So I called the nurse at my OB & asked for the mfg name of the vaccine they would be administering. : Afluria by CSL BIO.  
 
Beta-propiolactone,
Neomycin,
 Polymyxin B,
 Sucrose,
Thimerosal,
Mercury,
Sodium phosphate-monobasic,
Chick embryo cells,
 Potassium chloride,
Neomycin sulphate,
Calcium chloride,
Sodium deoxycholate,
 Sodium phosphate- dibasic anhydrous,
Potassium phosphate- monobasic
Shocking this is what's in it. ( on the no-vaccine site, they explain what each ingredient is ) ... I find it funny that they ( nurse, dr ) will inject me with this, but when they heard that my home business is landscaping, they were sure to make sure I know to stay away from all chemicals ( many of which we use in fertilizing, snow removal ) are on this list. Yes, Calcium Chloride & Potassium Chloride are used on sidewalks to melt snow.. & yes, they are the reason your lawn turns brown after salt use. TOuch on the mercury for a second.. we are told to avoide Fish, for high mercury content, but you want to "inject" me with it.???? No thanks. My decision is made up.
 
I'm not saying not getting a flu shot is the right answer for everyone, but each needs to make their own decision. Yes There are many varieties of the vaccine too. The above is what my dr has to offer this year.

 
 

2 comments:

  1. That is really interesting that you are supposed to stay away from the chemicals that go on the sidewalk, but it's okay to put the same ones in the body. I know you can argue that there's a greater time exposure with one or whatever, but it seems like a reasonable thing to question. I agree that it's a decision that each person has to make for themselves, but it sounds like you made the right one for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'm surprised your ob gives a flu shot with mercury! That's the one thing mine told me to avoid! I got one last year because I worked Ina school and my husband works in a hospital, and I had had the flu really bad the year before. I got a mercury free shot from my pharmacy. Haven't decided whether to get the shot for Maria or me this year.

    ReplyDelete