So I had a lovely phone consult with a different nutritionist than 2 weeks ago. Although I have my numbers under control right, now both she & the doctors, remind me that every 3-4 weeks, I will have to tweek things as my hormones ramp up. (yeah)
So we talked about what I was currently having for breakfast; greek yogurt, berries & slice ( or 2 ) of whole grain toast. I told her it's getting old very quick. She asked if I liked oatmeal.. I said I love oatmeal, but the last lady, told me too many carbs & that I need to focus on more of the protein & the Fage greek yogurt was fullilling that need right now. She asked if I had tried or heard of "yogurt & oatmeal mixed together ( eaten cold ) make ahead overnight. I said no, but I was intrigued.
So the pinny site has some ideas. for Refrigerator Oatmeal ( that's what they technically call it )
If you are interested in trying it, Cho.bani greek yogurt actually started selling it already mixed ( but I am not allowed all the sugar of their varieties )
So what I've done.. maybe a little different than the pinned recipes.
I've used plaiin greek yogurt ( fage brand ) - most protein per serving.. I buy a big container.. which lasts me most of the week, I eat it at breakfast & for snack or with dinner ..
So for breakfast I mix about 8oz with scant 1/4cup of steel cut oatmeal add in blueberries or raspberries ( I cover the container i'm using )so probably about 1/3 to 1/2 cup. You can also add some flax, nuts, or cinnamon to your taste. ( I haven't tried chia seeds, but a lot of recipes recommend those too ) Mix it all up & leave in the refrigerator overnight.. my combination is a little thick, like wallpaper paste.. but I needed a change from the bland -bland yogurt..
In the morning it's all ready for me to pick up & put in my work bag.
I learned a lot of good tips with this lady yesterday.. She was able to better help me with why I don't like to eat first thing in the morning. Are you ready.. She said do you have allergies with sinus drainage.. I said yes.. she then said, that your body has to clear it out of your system first before food seems appealing.. she said you are more likely to throw up, if you eat food without that clearing your system.. bingo!! wow.. she was great!!
If you've tried the greek yogurt/oatmeal thing, let me know combinations you've tried..
So happy to hear the new nutritionist is much better!!
ReplyDeleteSteph- World of difference. I was actually exctied to be on the special diet for a change.
DeleteI think I might have to try the greek yogurt oatmeal thing, sounds yummy and healthy
ReplyDeleteI am glad that the new nutritionist is helping you. I had gestational diabetes but I avoided insulin and continued Metformin along with a reasonable diet. My fasting numbers were a bit high but my Napro Dr wasn't worried. The dieticians tried shoving insulin but I refused. I didn't bother much because I knew the levels weren't too bad. I would eat sausage, chicken salad or some meat and a whole wheat toast for breakfast. I wasnt crazy about Greek yogurt. As long I ate a decent amount of protein at every meal, my levels were ok.
ReplyDeleteI have not done overnight oats with yogurt, but I follow this gal's blog and have made her recipes: http://ohsheglows.com/2010/04/08/easy-vegan-overnight-oats/
ReplyDeleteThey might inspire you for things to add.