Saturday, October 4, 2014

Week of Medical Appts ** Vent**


So since this was week "21" both my OB & the MFM wanted to see me, in case my body, somehow does some huge thing in week 21. Also the MFM determined that i'm gest diabetic, so they had me going to a "gest diabetes" class this week also. 

The  MFM on Tuesday didn't start off well, she was late, more late than normal, she had all the appts that day double booked, because her partner, is on vacation. So they had to fit all their weekly appts at my hospital into one day. The regular ultrasound tech was on vacation & the nurse manager for the dept was on vacation too.  The MFM ( Dr. M ) was very rushed, I had talked to the nurse the past week & left a list of my concerns that I wanted addressed, she looked at them & basically brushed them off.  She basically threatened that when I come back in 2 weeks, I didn't somehow greatly improve my sugars, that I would be going on insulin.  I said can we talk for a moment. NO! I am very busy & left. 

So Wednesday comes along.. to the diabetes education class " recommended by the MFM ". The only appt I was able to get was 1pm -3pm.. ( smack in the middle of the day ) it takes an hour each way to get there.. SO I left work early.. ( which also means I have these work hours to make up at night or on the weekend ). Their instructions also said to arrive 15 minutes early to fill out paperwork,etc. So I was there early.  They started the class 30  minutes late! The receptionist who I don't think knows what HIPPA is. Answers the phone on speakerphone, so you can hear the entire conversation. The offices did not have doors on them.. The receptionist then listened to all the days voicemails on speaker phone. ( I had told the nurse at the MFM, I was concerned about the privacy at this office, because the receptionist when calling me always sounded like she was on speakerphone. She assured me that they were a part of the hospital & had to follow the same HIPPA as everyone else) The ladies in this office also yelled across the office to each other about patients while I was in the waiting area ( with no doors ).  So class started ( not the private class I was told it was ) with the Nurse educator, who had an hour to discuss ( scare ) us about gest diabetes in pregnancy & how we would likely have 10lb or more babies & likely need a c-section & natural deliveries would  not be possible. Her only other function was to show us how to use a lancet & poke ourselves & how to test it.  The Nurse at my MFM also said she is supposed to "calibrate" the meter I brought in. ( NOPE not happening, the diabete educator  has no idea what i'm talking about ) . She gave us the name of the company they recomend getting our supplies from, and happily sends over our prescriptions to them, says call them tomorrow if they don't call you.

Then the next hour was spent with the "dietician" who is also the manager of this department. Part of the paperwork I filled out for this place ahead of time was a food log, and other stuff about my history. Which none was looked at before, or during my appt.  We were asked to fill out a food log for the last 24 hours while sitting in front of her. Her next assignment was to make us recommendations of what we should be eating in a day.  So she took the food log that I gave her & wrote all the same foods down.. ( WTH )  can't you make any more suggestions. She gave some papers on how to read a label. What we should look for, she offered no advice on eating out ( which their brochure says they are supposed to ) When I specifically asked about this, because I would be traveling next week, she said Oh-you'll figure it out. . She then says why don't you throw some greek yogurt in your suitcase. Really lady.. thanks!   She made greek yogurt a key component in every meal in every day. She had no idea how much protein was in certain brands to even recommend the good ones, that have more than others. She had no suggestions of brands of "protein" bars, which they recommend for snacks, just said read the labels. I had mentioned my food aversions.. ( recently eggs)  she of course added that to my meal plan suggestions. Really just told her they make me throw up & you put it in as must have 2 eggs a day.

So what I got out of the class, don't eat pineapple, grapes, or bananas.  Buy stock in Fage plain greek yogurt, cuz you will be eating a LOT of it.  ( interestingly enough I've found it as a good substitute for sour cream in some things, and have been able to eat it  savory or sweet.

Let me expand on something here, in my business ( work & home business ) I get people all the time who ask for recommendations. If I do not believe 100% that who I recommend is going to give excellent service, I WON'T put my name on the line for it. I see a recommendation as a reflection of you and your business practices.

Drove home, instead of back to work, cried myself to sleep for an hour.

Thursday, did not hear from the medical supply company. Called the rep, left her a message, explaining, I really needed to hear back ASAP, as I was leaving out of town & really need the strips.
She called at 6pm.. said she was still waiting to hear from the verification dept if I had insurance coverage.. So explained my insurance coverage, she said she couldn't go by what I said.. yada-yada, she'd call in the morning, if she didn't know something she would mail me a sample kit ( new meter -dif brand & a weeks worth of strips ) & could I text her my address. 

Friday, I have my appt with the OB.(Dr.G) First had peanuts ultrasound.. peanut was being acrobatic all night and was breech & kicking my cervix all night. Interesting picture to say the least.  Then I saw the doctor. We had a discussion last appt about if I wasn't happy with is practice or the way things were going I could look for somewhere else. ( Love him, just all the antics of everything at this hospital is wayyy overwhelming now).  I told him about a story/homily that Dwija mentioned  last week about being ALL -IN.  I said I am ALL-In, but I need him to be all in & go to bat for me.  Showed him chart with blood sugars & BP. I said being threatened by the MFM, the horrible diabetes education class, I was just spent this week. I then started crying. I said I have done EVERYTHING you guys ( he & MFM ) have asked of me. ( no sex, no caffeine, special diet, exercise, every week appointments, etc) I said I don't feel like I'm getting the MFM's ALL. I don't feel this hospital is giving me the best care they are known for.  I said I feel like going out for a vodka & tonic & smoking a cigar right now. I said NoNE of you are listening to me.   He then asked  me if I have been "happy" at all during the pregnancy. Interesting question! I said yes, but coming here to this hospital is very frustrating.

Dr. G gave me a card for a dietician" he recommends" he doesn't recommend if he doesn't  recommend them. Said cancel my follow up at the hospital for their dietician. He said he's going to try & get the MFM  to get on the same page as him. I told him I would fight them tooth & nail if she recommends insulin shots, because I have been able to control my daytime sugars 100% by diet. Which he commended me. My only issue is the overnight fasting blood sugar, which is still just about 10 pts out of normal. I called the dietician he recommends already, she only works 1 day a week, & is far from me, & I wouldn't be able to see her this week, cuz I will be out of town.. So I left her a message asking if we could phone consult... we'll see...  He also said he doesn't feel I need to come "every" week like I have been.  ( i said well I still do, because I have to come every week for PIO injections, cuz they don't want me doing them on my own ) So no weekly ultrasounds from him. He wrote me a prescription for the test strips I need & a new meter ( which I do not need ) ..

So before I went in to see Dr. G. I texted the medical supply company ( at 8am in the morning ). Told her if there was anything more she needed that I would be in the dr. office & to let me know ASAP. ( i'm usually there for 2 hours ), asked her for a response about the verification too.   No response. Shortly after 4pm, i get a call from an unknown number. but no vm.   1/2 hour later another one.. but this time they leave a message ( i'm in a meeting, so don't leave for unknowns). It's the customer service from the medical supply place.  wanting to know what my dr's name is? WTH? Call them back. they still haven't verified my insurance but need my doctors name? For what? uhhh. no response.. What do you need my doctors name for? it's on the prescription, do you  have that ?  Very frustrating.. I said since I can't see what you are looking at I don't know which doctor to tell you. Wouldn't tell me how much the strips were going to cost. So I finally said, You know what I've already taken my prescription into the pharmacy & having them fill it, since your company has already taken 3 days longer than they should have & I need them, like tomorrow. He's didn't know what to say, then says, can I help you with anything else? (I hate that line, because realistically you didn't help me with ANYTHING )  I worked in a call center 15 years ago & there are certain things you don't say.. that is one of them.  The medical rep had the audicity to text me at 9pm on Friday night to ask if she can stop by my house & drop off an off brand kit & pick up my prescription.  Ummm don't know you, you are not coming to  my house that late..

So I  had taken my prescription into Costco.. all giddy, going to finally get my strips. know it's only going to cost me about $20.. Bang..oh we can't bill medical insurance for these, our computer isn't set up for these.. You'll have to go to a medical supply store for strips under medical insurance.. ( so he nicely tells me where the nearest one is. )  Go there, wait the 30 minutes til they open up.  sit down with the girl. She starts filling everything in on her computer cuz i'm new.. BAM.. my insurance, is out of state, so she doesn't know how to fill it out. My company is in the same state i live in, but they choose to have a BCBS policy from far away,, which throws everyone off when you go in anywhere here. She gets that figured out, then WHAM. Oh there is no diagnosis on the prescription.. we can't fill this today, do you want to call your doctors office right now to see if they can send it over.. Really !!!! OMG so done with this stuff. I explained I leave on Monday, before they open up ( they don't open til 11am. ( what business has hours like that )  So they were nice enough to give me 20 test strips, to get me thru the week, told me what my DR, has to write on the script. ( more than one thing missing )  neither Dr. G or Dr. M wrote the prescription correct for these. So when I get back on Thursday, I will have to race over there to get the script.. Unless I can sweet talk my husband into it.

So this is how smoothly & stress free these 2 doctors are making it for me. I refused to let them take my bp on Friday.. i took it before I left & said here it is.. ( normal at home ).   I just want to bang my head against the wall after all this..

Dr. G did give me permission to give myself a meal off if I needed to forget to test after it. *(gee thanks)  he said don't be so hard on yourself.  ( i'm not being hard, your MFM is )  I said how about some vodka shots.. ( NO )

4 comments:

  1. Good grief! I am, unfortunately, all too aware that there are a lot of medical offices that are over booked and have too little time to really listen to patients. It's just all kinds of awful that you have to deal with it from all sides! And, having conversations over speaker phone is DEFINITELY against HIPPA regs, as is talking loudly across a room. I don't know if I would do it while you still have to deal with them, but you could report them for that kind of behavior. I hope they get their acts together!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, way too much to deal with. Ugh. That sounds very frusterating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think health care is taking a turn for the worse...ugh! My dr overbooks all the time and I waited for over an hour and a half for a ten minute visit with my dr...I was livid. I waited over a month for this appt and it was awful. They are overworked and not taking the time they need. Ugh, Ugh, Ugh and I don't see it getting better. Hope you got some relief posting about it...I know sometimes that helps calm the nerves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO frustrating. All of it! I don't blame you for not wanting to have your BP taken in that crazy office.

    ReplyDelete